Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought Judge Dowd was dead. I took courses from him in the mid-70's before he was a judge.

Ohio judge rules punch-card voting does not deny blacks the right to vote

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

(12-15) 07:53 PST AKRON, Ohio (AP) --

Voting rights are not denied to those who use punch-card ballots, a federal judge ruled in the nation's first trial to challenge the system blamed for woes in Florida in the 2000 presidential election.

The American Civil Liberties Union argued that the punch-card system is error-prone and ballots are more likely to go uncounted than votes cast in other ways. The group claimed Ohio violated the voting rights of blacks, who predominantly live in punch-card counties.

U.S. District Judge David D. Dowd Jr. disagreed.

"All voters in a county, regardless of race, use the same voting system to cast a ballot, and no one is denied the opportunity to cast a valid vote because of their race," Dowd said in his ruling Tuesday.

The ACLU in Cleveland did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Punch-card ballots are used in 69 of 88 Ohio counties, representing nearly 73 percent of registered voters. About 92,000 ballots cast in last month's presidential election failed to record a vote for president, most on punch-card systems.

A lawyer representing Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, who lost Ohio by 119,000 votes to President Bush, has asked that representatives of the campaign be allowed to inspect those ballots as part of a recount being done in Ohio.

The recount, which began this week, was requested by two minor presidential candidates. The Kerry campaign supports the recount even though it has acknowledged there are not enough votes to change the outcome.

In a separate action, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and attorney Cliff Arnebeck of the Massachusetts-based Alliance for Democracy have asked the state Supreme Court to reconsider the election results, accusing Bush's campaign of "high-tech vote stealing."

Jackson said the challengers noticed Bush generally received more votes in counties that use optical-scan voting machines and questioned whether the machines were calibrated to record votes for Bush.

The challengers also claim there were disparities in vote totals for Democrats, too few voting machines in Democrat-leaning precincts, organized campaigns directing voters to the wrong polling place and confusion over the counting of provisional ballots by voters whose names did not appear in the records at polling places.

If the court decides to hear the challenge, it can declare a new winner or throw out the results. However, Ohio's electors cast the state's 20 electoral votes for Bush on Monday.

Punch-card balloting gained notoriety during the 2000 presidential election in Florida, where problems with the ballots -- such as hanging chads -- led to legal wrangling and recounts, until George W. Bush was declared the winner of the state by just 537 votes.

Ohio plans to replace punch-card systems by 2005 with machines that alert voters they made a mistake. The electronic voting systems were supposed to be in place statewide by the November election, but the $133 million plan stalled because of security questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Ken Blackwell the Ohio secretary of state was on the radio yesterday talking about Jackson's claim that Diebold an Ohio based company who makes electronic voting machines rigged the election.

Blackwell said they decided not to use any Diebold machines in the state for the election prior to the election.

Jackson claims they were used for major fraud in Ohio :D

Ken Blackwell is an African American Republican and he does not speak well of Jackson at all! I wish everyone could have heard that interview. :D

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Anybody too stupid to be able to figure out how to use a punch card, should not be allowed to vote.
Regardless of whether they are black, white, green or purple.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll confess this. I never was in an election with a write in candidate before this year and I have been voing for 35 years. I almost fogot and I had to look at it a bit longer to figure it out.

It was for county prosecutor.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Sore losers..........

Jessie......can you feel anything fraudulant about ......this!

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
I surf.........therfore.....I shamelessly rip off every good image I find.Does it show?

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
Custer:

The loser Dems have attempted to muddy every election area where the vote was close. Ohio should have slammed Kerry and this nonsense would never have arisen.

Strange but where the vote was close and the Dems won, no objections were raised by the Repubs.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some of this stuff is also being driven by Bednarik of the Libertarian party.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts