Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my AK-74 parts kit and OOW receiver today, and have a few questions..

1. The OOW receiver seems to be bent in at the top.. Is this normal? I have to wiggle the trunnions in and they sort of spread the receiver aprt...It's not physically damaged bent, just not square..

2. What is the proper way of fitting the rear trunnion??

3. And last nut not least.. Everyone says to mount the triggergaurd/mag catch first and use the mag to fit the front trunnion in.. Ok, how mush play am I looking for here???

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
I just bought 2 OOW 74 receivers from Ohio Rapid Fire and they are bent in slightly at the top too. Don't worry, the trunnion and stock tang will put everything back square. My carriers are super tight towards the back of the bare receivers, but with a 1.25" spacer in place, the carriers slide freely.

The procedure that works best for one of the commercial receivers is to install the triggerguard first. Then install the front trunnion. The next step would be to install the barrel (if you are assembling with screws, the barrel will be installed along with the front trunnion). Once the barrel is in place, properly headspaced, and pinned, you would use the top cover to set the spacing for the stock tang (rear trunnion). This method gives the best fit for the cover.

For fitting the front trunnion... I used several different magazines to achieve the best overall fit. You don't want the fit to be so tight that the mags are tough to get in and out. OTOH, you don't want them sloppy or almost falling out. If you use several magazines (I used steel and polymer on my PMKMS assembly), you will get the best overall fit.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rhino

Is the 1.25" spacer something you added, or just the trunnions? I noticed I couldne get the carrier in either, but I never tried with the trunnions in place...

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
The spacer is just a chunk of steel I milled to size for supporting the receivers while I was working on them. It's just a block of steel 1.2"x1.25"x 2". Try your trunnions and see if it makes a difference. There are some sharp freaking edges on the receiver, so watch the fingers.

BYG, No kidding! I live in Dayton. I'm hoping Todd gets his butt in gear and gets to work on the pistol range. That would just be another excuse to go to ORF! I hate driving down I-75 to Target World... The damn highway patrol lays around Springboro with speed traps all the time.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I slithered the trunnions in, and every thing is fine.. With the execption of the furniture.. I guess that will need worked down a bit.. Thats no big deal...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow! small world huh? I heard ORF was trying to open a new indoor range w/rentals and the works.But I get too busy looking around and forget to ask.
I usually go to spring valley,How is target world never been

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Target World isn't too bad at all. They do have rentals available. The best thing is being able to shoot when it's raining and not get soaked. I usually shoot for a least 2 hours when I go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts