Gunco Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about an old belgum browning A5. It does not have any serial #s on it, but it has "BROWNING AUTOMATIC ARMS CO. OGDEN UTAH-U.S.A." on the top of the barrel. I was wondering how old it is, and general worth of it. I was thinking of refinishing it (looks kind of worn), but it may reuin the value of it. Any one have any info?
thanks, T M

·
Registered
258 Posts
i dont have an a5 but i have a savage 755a that was built off of the a5 patent (so i was told). it looks and is built identical just not a browning. i traced the date of manufacture back to 1964 if that helps. its an oldie. the model 11 remingtons are the same way. mine looked like it had been rode hard and hung up wet so i refinished it with new stocks and blueing and what not. that browning on the other hand is alot more collectable and it may take away from it if you make it look new. just an opinion and you know about those lol take care!!!!!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
Does anyone know anything about an old belgum browning A5. It does not have any serial #s on it, but it has "BROWNING AUTOMATIC ARMS CO. OGDEN UTAH-U.S.A." on the top of the barrel. I was wondering how old it is, and general worth of it. I was thinking of refinishing it (looks kind of worn), but it may reuin the value of it. Any one have any info?
thanks, T M
Related mystery. I've got a Stevens 311 that also has no serial number on it. From what I've since been given to understand, serial numbering firearms was common practice all along, but became required with the 1968 Gun Control Act.

Some A-5 info you may find interesting:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5.htm

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
They are good shotguns and all you have to do is replace the recoil springs when they get worn. I know the Brownings are worth more than the Remingtons and Savage. I have an old Rem 11 that is in excellent shape that my grandfather bought as a gift for himself in 1928 after graduating from Texas A&M. I was disappointed to find it had little monetary value. It was the favorite shotgun of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker and several of th police that tracked them down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts