Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend acquired some old boxes of Norinco 762x39 ammo. Are any of these steel core? The silver boxes say "Lead Core Bullet Steel Case Non Corrosive", whereas the yellow say " Non Corrosive Steel Case".

Attachments

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Bring them over and we will shoot every last one of them.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn, I was hoping for some steel core. Are Norinco rounds suppose to be decent stuff? Mbadboyz, can't shoot these but I have a lot of other stuff we can. How was your thanksgiving?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Actually, there's a good chance the yellow boxes may be steel core. Only way to find out is pull a bullet and saw it in half. That old yellow box Norinco is some accurate stuff. Run some through your SKS if you want to see how accurate it can be.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks cammobunker! I may try that. I don't have a bullet puller though. Anyway to improvise?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yeah. Clamp the bullet in a vise, find a good nail, place it on the primer and whack it a good one with a hammer :stretcher
Naw, actually just clamp the bullet in a vise and tug on the end-carefully- with vice grips.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
what are the headstamps on these?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
Darn, I was hoping for some steel core. Are Norinco rounds suppose to be decent stuff? Mbadboyz, can't shoot these but I have a lot of other stuff we can. How was your thanksgiving?
Excellent! We (family) drove to Ohio on wednesday night and returned on sunday evening. 9 hour drive one way but the kids had a blast. I hooked up there XBOX and TV and they kept busy the whole way. I got the AMD kit in the mail today so Im ready when you are to get together. Ill call ya tomorrow sometime.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, a while back, I just hacked off the tip of the bullet with a hack saw. It probably wasn't the safest way, but worked. Needless to say, it was really hard to make it through the bullet. I think I may have some steel core. I sawwed and sawwed and finally the tip of it popped off. It was surrounding what looks to be a cylindrically shaped piece of steel. I base my conclusion off the observations I made while trying to cut through it. If it were lead, I would think it would be a lot easier to cut through. What do you guys think?

The case head for this bullet is "311 92". I have some others that are marked "31 92" and "71 93". I have yet to cut into the latter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have 20 boxes of the yellow boxed Norinco. Headstamped 71 over 92 with red primer sealant. It is steel core but not marked as such on the box. I've heard red primer sealer = steel core, green sealer = leadcore. Don't know if thats true. I used a dremel with cut-off wheel (after pulling pullet) to check core.

·
Registered
329 Posts
AKaTom said:
I have 20 boxes of the yellow boxed Norinco. Headstamped 71 over 92 with red primer sealant. It is steel core but not marked as such on the box. I've heard red primer sealer = steel core, green sealer = leadcore. Don't know if thats true. I used a dremel with cut-off wheel (after pulling pullet) to check core.
There's an easier way to tell... pull the bullet, then heat it up with a propane torch and melt out the lead. If it's steel (or tungsten) core, the core will remain inside the bullet shell and rattle around (or fall out).

If the lead melts out and the shell is empty, then it's lead core.

I've got some Norinco stuff headstamped 311 on top and 86 on the bottom and it has a TUNGSTEN core.

Needless to say, I'm saving that stuff for the "rainy day"...

Roger

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I looked at the bullets that I was not sure of, and found that the ones with head stamps of "71 93" have red primer seals and the "31 92" has no apparent color for the primer sealer. Thanks for the ideas on how to check them. So, I can just vice the case down, and then pull just the bullet out? Any worries about the case smashing while doing this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts