Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While most folks sight in a centerfire rifle at 100 yards, I'm given to understand that the optimal range varies by cartridge, the optimal range being that for which a sighted-in rifle will keep shots within a 9-inch circle (kill zone for medium game) over the longest distance. Thus flat-shooting cartridges should be sighted in at a longer range than cartridges with a more rainbow-shaped trajectory. That said...

Anyone know what the optimal ranges are for sighting in 7.62X39, 5.56X45, and 8mm Mauser?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, ziggy!

Ballistics of the 8mm are about identical with that of the .30-06, if that's any help.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh?

Straight question, you gave me a straight answer for 2 of the 3 cartridges I was curious about, and a good guestimate for the third. I was yattering about the .30-06 only because you'd said you weren't familiar with that cartridge, and I thought perhaps you might have the answer for the '06.

To make sure we're on the same sheet of music, here's the premise: I consider the optimal range to sight a weapon in to be that for which the bullet will stay within a 9-inch target for the greatest range of distance. For a rainbow-trajectoried cartridge like the 7.72X39 that range will be closer than for a flat-trajectoried cartridge such as the 5.56X45. Info you gave for those two cartridges is consistent with that if I'm reading the info correctly - 200 meters and 100 yards respectively as optimal range to zero in at.

Sorta alludes to what, I think, is the original meaning of "zero": The range you sight your weapon in at for which you can best hit your targets over various ranges while making zero adjustments for elevation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey D, I sight most of my rifles in 2 inches high at 100 yards. From close up out to 250 yards you,ve got it made. If target is farther theres less drop to compensate for. Seems to be a good formula for most rifles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts