Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some outlets are reporting that Michael Moore's propaganda film "Fahrenheit 911" is an early contender for the Best Picture Oscar nomination.

This is the perfect opportunity for those of us who live in the "red" states to show our displeasure at Michael Moore's and Hollywood's attempt to ruin our president.

What we need to do (are you reading closely Internet Junkies?) is get the e-mail addresses of the appropriate people who work for the major movie studios as well as the e-mail addresses of the people who determine which movies will be nominated for an Academy Award and which will not.

We then deluge these people with e-mails threatening to boycott Hollywood movies for an ENTIRE YEAR if Mr. Moore's movie is nominated for any award of any kind.

If the film is nominated anyway, we will then have to carry out our threat. We will have to include not only theatrical movies, but video rentals and sales as well. A huge portion of Hollywood movies make their major profits from video long after the movie has left the theaters. Some movies, of course, go directly to video. It is probably not feasible to include television, since most people will simply not adhere to this as it requires too heavy of a lifestyle change for most people.

We should somehow coordinate this through e-mails, choosing a definite date at which we are going to begin the boycott. A good start date would be the first weekend of the summer movie season, the season that brings in the most movie dollars. We should make this date clear to the Hollywood types to whom we send our e-mails. That way, when such-and-such date comes along and they are able to see their revenues drop like a stone, they will know that it is US who are causing theaters to be empty, video stores to go without customers, etc.

Our goal should be twofold:

1. Make it so that Hollywood changes its attitude toward those of us in the "red" states that do not share their values. We thought that the huge profits made by "The Passion of the Christ" would send them a message, but most of the Hollywood types chose to ignore it. They cannot ignore being put out of business.

2. Our other goal should be to make Michael Moore such a hot potato that he will never get the big studio financing to make another movie, and will have to either seek funding from other avenues, or, as a best-case scenario, move to France.

I think that if this effort is coordinated through word of mouth and the internet that it will succeed. It will not succeed unless we all are willing to show our self-respect and do without Hollywood's products until they knuckle under and begin to listen to us. I think that is worth the sacrifice of a few movie tickets, video rentals, video sales, etc. When you add up the money saved by doing this for a year, then most people will have the added benefit of more money in their pocket.

Each person will have to make up his own mind, of course, but if we boycott Hollywood for a year and send the money saved to our favorite conservative cause, then we might REALLY be unbeatable in the next election.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Great idea Major!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping people will right-click and copy my entire message, paste it on an e-mail, and send it to every conservative they know.

This type of tactic has already caused Arlen Specter to soften his position on Supreme Court nominees.

The power of a united public cannot be stopped!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Interesting idea!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good idea but we are about to start the really big season for theaters and Hollywood. Late November through December accounts for a big part of their annual income. Summer is when they put out movies for teens, and now is when movies are aimed at the adult audience. Keep an eye on the movies that are released between now and Christmas; they?re the ones they hope will be in the running for awards later. Movies released in the spring and summer are usually forgotten by award time. So right now is the time to start doing what we can to twist their arms.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I guess I have another take. The more way out Hollywood gets, the more they are losing the respect of most Americans.

I think the election showed this. I hope they keep doing extreme, idiotic things.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I highly doubt any change could be made in Hollyweird. They live in a bubble and not even a complete boycott would change their minds. Don't get me wrong, I find the cause noble, it's that I think most Americans on the Conservative side find the Celebs as nutty as a fruitcake. Getting the other half of America that voted for these freak and their friends to see that might be like talking to a wall.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm not sure Hollywood has the monopoly it used to, anyway. Many films are made in other States. We've even had films made here in Winston-Salem, where we have the NC School of the Arts. Remember how Arnold reminded Kalifornia voters that one of his films was made in Hollyweird, instead of Canada, because he took a pay cut to make up for the difference in production cost? Cold Harbor, a Civil War film, was made in Eastern Europe!

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
AClay47 said:
I'm not sure Hollywood has the monopoly it used to, anyway. Many films are made in other States. We've even had films made here in Winston-Salem, where we have the NC School of the Arts. Remember how Arnold reminded Kalifornia voters that one of his films was made in Hollyweird, instead of Canada, because he took a pay cut to make up for the difference in production cost? Cold Harbor, a Civil War film, was made in Eastern Europe!
I don't think where they're made is as important as who makes them.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
DorGunR said:
I don't think where they're made is as important as who makes them.
I agree. There is a film making colony in Dayton, Ohio. They specialize in documentaries for the most part. Very liberal. I know. I went to high school with one of the leading guys there. A certifiable nut job like Michael Moore.

Would not surprise me if they dated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All of you are making extremely good points, but I think you may be missing part of mine: I say the THREAT of a boycott will be enough to scare them. We will only have to put up or shut up in order to save our own credibility if they don't knuckle under. I would also like to find out once and for all if we indeed are talking to a wall and the only thing that will "disarm" the leftist propaganda machine is to offer an alternative, like a "Texas Hollywood" or something.

If you think that's a crazy idea, I understand the Fox News Channel, well known to be more conservative than traditional left-leaning news outlets, is gradually becoming the most-watched of ALL the news networks and network news programming.

I think this idea of the boycott is only the BEGINNING of things to come, an opening shot across their bow, figuratively speaking. The ultimate solution, of course, is to "do our own thang."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts