Gunco Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad owns about 8 acres in the middle of 300 acres of beautiful Virginia hardwood forest. Needless to say, we have a nice little range set up for when we need to blow the shit out of something . . . like the old GMC truck we keep on the 100M line :) . The range is about a hour out of Richmond, so I can drive out fairly often.

I got to get out Monday afternoon with my Bulgie 5.45, my Russkie M38 from AIM, and my Armalite M15A2C. My Dad brought his Garand and M-14 - - - much fun was had by all. We find that when we bring fewer guns, we have more time to focus on each weapon.

I built the Bulgie a couple of months ago (see the BIY section for details). This is the most amazingly accurate AK that I have ever owned. I was DUSTING clay pigeons at 185M offhand with Wolf steelcase . . . a feat I have a difficult time accomplishing with my freakin' Armalite using nice Lake City ammo. Everyone must own one of these rifles. The muzzle brake will screw up your accuracy if you don't install it correctly though.

The M38 is a rip-roaring 7.62x54r concussion generator. I really don't have a problem with the recoil, but the flippin' fireball will singe your eyebrows. I love the shape of a Moisin stock . . . it just fits me perfectly. Ican throw the gun up to my eye and IMMEDIATELY I'm perfectly aligned with the sights. This particular example of the breed isn't the most accurate C&R rifle I've ever owned (that distinction is held by the "blessed one" - - my '42 Longbranch Enfield No4Mk1*) but it can keep the rounds in the black out to about 200M. Plus, manhandling the bolt gives you a hint of what the average CCCP gomer must have felt during the seige of Stalingrad. My shoulder is a wonderful shade of green/purple now after a week of healing . . . ahh, some things in life are just grand.

As usual, my Armalite was a picky *****. I have scrubbed the HELL out of the chamber on this darn thing, but 5.56 Wolf still sticks in the chamber. Luckily, I have most of a case of Lake City. It's amazing how accurate the AR15 platform has become. My Armalite is almost boring . . . I just can't miss with it. BANG! Clay reduced to dust . . . yawn.

Anyhow, I had a great day shooting. I can't wait to get out tomorrow for some more of the same . . . I'm taking my K-31 and my CETME out.

Disconnector

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Open invitation

mauser88 said:
Sounds like you had a great day. I wished I lived in an area that I could just drive out to and spent the day shooting.
If you're ever passing through Richmond, IM me and we'll get together. Nothing better than a nice afternoon spent bustin' caps. If fact, that counts for anyone on this board. I'm always willing to host a shoot.

I'm ordering a M44 and 91/30 next week. MN rifles are just too darn cool.

Disconnector

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.