Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son in law, not me.

After he cleaned the snow off his driveway yesterday he was tossing some salt down and his wedding ring flew off into the deep snow. He and my daughter looked for it last night for hours and again this morning with no luck. She was pretty upset about it.

She had mentioned some months back that she wanted a metal detector which I though was strange as it did not sound like her type of hobby. Her husband did not pay much attention and that was not on the Christmas gift list.

Anyway, he braved the snow and went to Radio Shack and bought one. They found the ring in 10 minutes.

So, now he is the young God again. Ring found and she has a metal detector.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I've got three metal detectors Custer. I used to metal detect a lot. I've found a couple hundred silver coins and several gold rings. Never did find one with a diamond in it though. I've got an old belt buckle that dates back to the Indian War era that I dug up. It was pretty well damaged like it had been shot up or something. I've found quite a few uniform buttons and other interesting trivia from times past.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Almost sounds like he planned it that way.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
He got lucky. I can't wear mine, for one I've gotten a lot thicker since I got married (not fat) and my skin just breaks up under jewlery, stainless steel watchbands are ok though, but not gold.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I?ve had a detector for about sixteen years. It?s paid for itself just in finding the stuff I?ve lost. Oh, and in finding the parts to my lawn mower when the blade and a few other parts came off in tall grass. Other than my own stuff the best thing I ever found was a 1892 penny in my yard when I was putting in a patio.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand the appeal to this metal detecting. I just don't know where you go to do some good hunting.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Are there any that work underwater? Silly question I know, but we spend all of our summer up at the lake--we comb the beaches, but it'd be cool to do the water....

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know nothing about metal detecting but I have a hunch I am going to be learning.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
You can look anywhere you have access to Custer. Here the beach is a big place. They turned up quite a few Dabloons (sp) after the hurricanes here. The fairgrounds get worked over during the fair. Anywhere crowds gather for current riches. Any old homesites or sections of woods for treasures from the past.

There was a guy here who had himself set up as a recoverer of lost things. He did it for free and one of the local paper column hacks touted his exploits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Taz38 said:
Are there any that work underwater? Silly question I know, but we spend all of our summer up at the lake--we comb the beaches, but it'd be cool to do the water....
Yes, you can buy a metal detector that works underwater. I had a friend that had one. I used to dive with him occassionally, and we would dive around an old dock area on the Atlantic side near Colon. I was never with him when he found anything, but he did find some cool stuff.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is hard to find any areas that are not private property and I don't think you are allowed to dig on government land anymore for relics.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer,

I haven't hunted much for a couple of years. Last year I found a Barber dime dated in the 1890s, can't remember the exact date. I've found perhaps 25-30 Barber dimes, around a couple of hundred Indian Head pennies, and I've got a bag of wheat pennies that weigh perhaps 10-15 pounds that I've found. I've found three silver dollars and many silver half dollars and silver quarters and dimes. Plus several hundred dollars of new clad money. My most valuable find was a 1927S Liberty Standing quarter.

I mostly hunt old schoolyards and old municipal parks. If yer interested in buying a metal detector, check Kellyco for prices. They usually have about as good a price as anyplace. I don't consider the stuff you get from Radio Shack to be real metal detectors. They don't have nearly as good ground balancing capability and a sensitive enough discrimination control. My best Detector is a Whites XLT. I've always favored Whites, and I've owned over a half dozen of their detectors. Several I've traded off for guns and things. I once owned a Garretts and it was a decent detector. Bounty Hunter and Fisher is pretty good too. You will get opinions on those like the arguments between owners of AKs and ARs. But, Whites rule. :D

Oh yeah, here is a web address for Kellyco: http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My daughter just got one yesterday but it was a Radio Shack buy.

Have not seen it yet but it sounds like something we might get addicted to over here.

My problem is that I keep acquiring hobbies and never shed any.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer said:
My daughter just got one yesterday but it was a Radio Shack buy.

Have not seen it yet but it sounds like something we might get addicted to over here.

My problem is that I keep acquiring hobbies and never shed any.
The detector that got me hooked in metal detection years ago was some cheap plastic detector that I bought from Service Merchandise. remember that store chain? I took it out and withing a few minutes of hunting I found a Barber quarter. The Barber quarter was the one before the Standing Liberty quarter. Zing...that hooked me. I immediately found that I needed a better detector and soon bought a detector from Sears that was made by Whites. It was a pretty good detector, and I found quite a few artifacts and coins with it. And, I went on to buy better detectors several more times.

You ought to request Kellyco send you some information. They will flood you with all kinds of interesting stuff to read.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My daughter just called.

It is called, I think, The Bounty Hunter by Discovery. Model 3300.

But for this snow, I think the damn fool would be out looking for treasure right now.

She is 30 but is giggling like she did when she was 8.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Custer said:
Sounds like she's a happy camper..........I'm glad she is happy with the detector............thats cool.:)

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I think her hubby went from the outhouse to the penthouse in 10 minutes.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer said:
My daughter just called.

It is called, I think, The Bounty Hunter by Discovery. Model 3300.

But for this snow, I think the damn fool would be out looking for treasure right now.

Good, the Radio Shack brand detectors were pretty much junk, at least they used to be. I'm not familiar with the 3300 model but Bounty Hunter is a good brand. She should get some good finds. If she doesn't already have a set of earphones, she'll be wanting a set soon. If she already has stereo earphones she will want to use an adaptor to change them to mono.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, earphones are her husband's problem.

In fact, knowing my daughter, he is the one that needs them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts