Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had just finished dinner (about an hour ago) and were sitting on our back porch when we heard them go off. The unmistakeable sound of a pack of coyotes excited over a big dinner in the lean season.
I havent heard a pack of coyotes since I was a teen and lived out in B.F.E.
Thats why I was so suprised. I live in suburbia now.
My wife freaked. I had let our 14 week old kitten out an hour or so before and the coyotes were only about a block away. Five minutes later she had me back in my shoes and jacket carrying a flashlight and my 9mm and calling out "kittykittykitty!!" as I started walking down the street.
She was pretty bent out of shape because about 4 months ago, our last cat-- "Turtle" as our daughter named him, had went out one night, never to be seen again, which sucked because he was a Grade A hunter who caught about 8-9 moles, mice, baby rabbits, starlings, squirrels and sparrows a week and kept my yard nice and healthy.
So now we know what happened to the old cat.
Fortunately for me, I found the lil bastard sitting at the edge of our fence not more than 50 feet from our front door.
Now I wonder who's gonna have the "Lost Cat" signs up in a couple days.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have a friend at work that ended up face to face with them. he was walking his dog and 4 of the bastards came at his dog. he was rite their they had no fear of him at all. he had to actualy kick them off of his pet.this was around 11:00 AM , NOT NIGHT. after many kicks they left. his dog ended up in the vet for 2 days. this was JUST ata the edje of town. as for him no more walks without a gun. .... the bastards are all over the place around my land. I like the fishing idea. let them eat their own numbers down as they eat their own. as for childern..... they are a snack for 6 coyotes... be carefull.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are some good books on hunting and trapping coyotes. One would think that taking a 100 or so coyotes from an area each year would have a significant impact on their population, but when trappers do this over and over with similar results, it becomes apparent that coyotes are prolific reproducers. Coyotes are more than happy to eat anything and everything. I prefer to feed them lead.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I live in suburbia and they are moving our way all the time. I would say they are roaming frequently within about 10-15 miles of my house. Maybe closer.

They reintroduced elk into parts of Kentucky. A friend of mine who is an avid outsdoorsman predicts they will be in our area within 20 years or less.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
We have them in Northern Indiana. Not nearly as many as the UP of Michigan though. I love laying in my sleeping bag at night listening to the coyotes howling. Even more than the coyote, I like to hear the call of the Wolf. And also to wake up in the morning hearing the call of the loons. While they should be managed in numbers, I wouldn't want the coyotes eliminated like what has happened to many of the big cats in Africa. It would be all of our loss if they were exterminated completely.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Pogo said:
We have them in Northern Indiana. Not nearly as many as the UP of Michigan though. I love laying in my sleeping bag at night listening to the coyotes howling. Even more than the coyote, I like to hear the call of the Wolf. And also to wake up in the morning hearing the call of the loons. While they should be managed in numbers, I wouldn't want the coyotes eliminated like what has happened to many of the big cats in Africa. It would be all of our loss if they were exterminated completely.
When I want to hear the call of the loons I turn on C-Span.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer said:
When I want to hear the call of the loons I turn on C-Span.
:rofl:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Coyotes are so smart that as folks have taken over the land it's actually resulted in expansion of their range instead of habitat-destruction as it does for other beasties.
I grew up in Los Angeles in the '50's & '60's and coyotes were common in the outskirts of suburbia.

I now live in the Nevada desert, and they've munched about 10 of my cats in as many years. I don't hunt them, but do take pot shots at any that get within range of my house. I think they're magnificant animals, but I wouldn't mind killing one for its winter pelt, either.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Just like dogs they can adapt to anything, anytime, anywhere, and they are breeding with dogs more and more. Some say that there is no longer pure strain of Coyote left in North America due to interbreeding.

My Dad had a pack at his house for a while, they always hung out in the shadows where he could not get a shot at them. One day the vanished and haven't been back for 2 years?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I hate the damn Coyote?s. We used to have about 150 chickens, 150 ducks and about 45 geese. My Wife and I would sell 5,000+ chicks a year plus whatever ducklings they produced themselves. After eight years we gave up, between the Coyotes and a couple of fox we lost to many birds each year to make money at it. I know where they live, it?s two and a half miles West of me on a friends farm, the guy?s Wife (Funny, his name really is Guy) won?t let anyone hunt on their property. Always thought it was because we where competition, his Wife raises chicken's too and has now taken over at the auction selling her chicks. All her birds are kept indoors so she has no problem with the Coyotes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts