Gunco Forums banner

Painting Plastic Furniture

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DaveGP 
#1 ·
I would like to paint a plastic stock set OD green. Can anyone here recommend a good satin or flat paint for this. Need a specific brand name and where to buy it.
Was thinking about Krylon but don't know if it comes in flat or satin in OD green. I have an airbrush and compressor so non-spray paint is OK.

#4 ·
I thought Fusion has a plastic primer as one of the product line. Well, it was a primer right next to the Fusion paints on the shelf. It may have just been standard primer though.

Rustoleum does have a plastic primer.

If you used this as a base coat, you could follow it up with any satin or flat top coat.

#9 ·
The fusion comes out very "thin" and dries VERY quickly, I've used this product quite a bit to paint CD drives to match cases. The finish is very durable and it is very easy to apply. The thing I have found is that because it dries SO quickly, that I do a quick once over then return again and again every 10 mins or so until I'm satisfied. This light coat approach prevents runs in this fairly thin product.

#10 ·
Believe it or not I once used GunKote on a set of plastic pistol grips. I bead blasted the grips then air brushed the paint on. Yes I even heated the grips to about 100 dregees before painting then baked it at 250 - 300 degrees for one hour. The grips didn't melt and the finish looked very good.

The only thing is I don't know what kind of plastic it was. I guess before I would do it again, I would shave a small piece from an area that doesn't show and the heat it up to 250-300 degrees in the oven to see if it melted.

What can I say, it worked for me, once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.