Gunco Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering the thoughts on the board here for paying for college? Should the students pay for all of it, what role should parents or goverment play in paying tuitions?

I'm kinda mixed on the subject myself and will post my opinion later when I have more time.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Why should the government pay???? I paid for most of my sons college tuition to the tune of $20,000 per year, my son paid for part of it thru work at the college.

·
No Member
1,941 Posts
After scholarships and grants my son owed $16000 for four years at the University of Illinois. I gave him $10000 and he's paying the rest.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The government is only making it easy for thew illegals to go to school. Everyone else (read AMERICANS) Need to pay however they can.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I did not think it was possible for my kids to foot the bill for tuition since it is so high and going up 9-10% per year. I also did not want them saddled with a mountain of debt when they graduated. It is tough enough for a rookie to be financially independent without paying tens of thousands of dollars in loans.

It took me 10 years to pay off mine but the amount was pretty small in those days.

I expected them to work part time jobs during school and full time during the summer to make a reasonable contribution. Part of the deal was to get good grades and not make a lifetime of being an undergraduate because of excessive fun.

In the long run, I think this worked out as they are both on their own and doing well financially and on the job.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
My parents were never able to put away for my college--and not wanting to owe thousands of dollars for the rest of my life I took 6 years away from school and then went back one class here one there. Now our state has the lottery and I get tuition assistance from that. I take 3 classes a semester and work a full time job, I may not be doing the traditional way, but it's working for me. I was the first one on my mom's side to graduate highschool--she has 10 siblings and I have 5 cousins older than myself--so I'm proud no matter what. I will also be the only one to have a college degree. But I feel that waiting and me footing the bill has made me serious about school.....many kids go away and party not thinking they're parents are paying for their crummy grades--I work hard for mine.....just my thoughts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
The government doesn't have any money. When someone says the government should pay for it, they are really saying "other people" should pay for a persons education, by force of the government.

In my opinion, housing, clothing, feeding, medical care, and education of children are the responsibility of parents. It has been only the last century that people came to expect others to raise their kids for them and to pay for the expense. If someone raises more kids than they can pay for, it shouldn't become my problem. If anyone considers my opinion to be selfish or greedy, so be it.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
We have a vested interest in having a well-educated populace if we are to survive as a nation. The government should provide for education for the very same reason it provides for roads.

My gripe with higher education isn't that much of it is paid for with taxpayers' money. My gripe is grade inflation, and folks who don't belong in college continuing to be coddled through it by school administrators whose only agenda is maintaining enrollment and who don't give a damn about education. The system does need reform desperately, and some school administrators need to be looking for work.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
It is interesting that the road system was based upon the power to provide for national defense since it was feared the Feds lacked the power otherwise.

The explosion of college students 35+ years was due to a huge Federal government grant of loan funds....The National Defense Student Loan Program. Again, justified by national defense.

Those niceties don't seem necessary anymore.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I've been lucky. My wife works for Miami-Dade College, so the kids got free tuition there, the older, managed to get a grant for his undergraduate work at FIU, we just paid for books and the USDA is paying for his PhD, but he'll have to spend a long time working there.

edit, Me. I got a student loan

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Myself, I worked my way through college and took out student loans, went to Community College the first two years, a State College for the last two years and for Masters' degree. Tuition was free (i.e. entirely paid by taxpayers) at the Community College, affordable (i.e. subsidized by taxpayers) at the State College. Took me a very long time because I found that if I took more than 12 units and/or worked more than half-time my grades would go downhill.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Worked and got a National Defense Student loan which took me 10 years to pay back.

Somewhere along the line I started to read how all the savvy kids were declaring bankruptcy upon graduation and wiping out all their debts including school loans.

I think this loophole is closed now.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
At the time I began repaying my student loans (early 80's) apparently you could just blow it off and ignore them without any repurcussions, at least that's what folks told me then. Didn't seem right to me - not moral self-righteousness, just seemed to me that if enough folks didn't repay their loans than the loans would no longer be made and that wouldn't be a good thing.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I was selfish. I was not thinking about the continuation of the loan program.

Paying my debts was a matter of honor.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well, I'm one of those secular humanists, Custer: My moral code is largely built around what it takes to make this a better world. Can't say that rules out honor, just means that enlightened self-interest (I've got to live in this world, too, you know) often leads one to do the honorable thing.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Yeah, it can.

But, I would pay it back even if I did not agree with the program's continuance. Like paying my taxes.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
I've already posted about my so ........now I'll post about me.
I went to night school on Military bases mostly .........it took me over 12 years doing this........the Army paid my tuition as long as I maintained a C average or better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts