Gunco Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure everyone here needs drill bits!!!
I picked this set up at harbor freight today.

115 PIECE TITANIUM NITRIDE COATED M2 HIGH SPEED STEEL DRILL BIT SET

included

29 fractional bits

26 letter bits A-Z

and numbered bits 1-60.

On sale for $39.99 through 5-17-04

Seemed like it would be perfect for AK builds (trigger pin holes) and other projects.

AK trigger pins

5mm= 0.1969
I used the #8 bit 0.199

7mm= 0.2756
I used the letter "J" bit 0.277

Thats close enough!!!!!!!! and the pins fit perfectly!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have that set. It is certainly economical. I did have an interesting experience with these bits though that I thought might be worth sharing.

In the process of opening up the gas port on an FN-FAL, I ended up spilling the set, and most of the small number drills (the ones I haven't snapped off doing seemingly minor drilling jobs) spilled out. No problem, thought I. I'll just grab my trusty micrometer, mike them, and put them back in order.

Well, not as easy as that it seems. I ended up with about four bits that mike'd exactly the same diameter. Others don't match what are supposed to be the decimal equivalents for any number drill.

I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying a set to use when you're "eyeballing" a hole size, or perhaps to drill something soft for tapping. But make sure you actually mike the bit before using it on anything requiring a semi-precision hole.

AK-74Freak said:
I am sure everyone here needs drill bits!!!
I picked this set up at harbor freight today.

115 PIECE TITANIUM NITRIDE COATED M2 HIGH SPEED STEEL DRILL BIT SET

included

29 fractional bits

26 letter bits A-Z

and numbered bits 1-60.

On sale for $39.99 through 5-17-04

Seemed like it would be perfect for AK builds (trigger pin holes) and other projects.

AK trigger pins

5mm= 0.1969
I used the #8 bit 0.199

7mm= 0.2756
I used the letter "J" bit 0.277

Thats close enough!!!!!!!! and the pins fit perfectly!!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Thanks for the advice Defens! My first question was going to be about the quality of this set, and having correct bit diameters certainly fits in that category. I just finally found my local HF store and was checking it out yesterday. I also saw these bits on sale but figured I'd ask around first, thanks again for the advice. By the way, have any of you guys seen the 20 ton press they sell. I also think it is on sale this month for a bit cheaper than it normally is...maybe $159. I can't remember the exact amount.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Bought my 20 ton press (H-frame welded) from HF (Free Shipping) and have already practiced removing/installing a barrel. Absolutley no effort to remove the barrel cross pin or the barrel. Now I'm waiting to try my luck with rivets. I have a few of the K-VAR rivet sets (don't know how hard they are) and will be trying them out before I do a real build.
You can't go wrong with the 20 ton press, if you can get the welded H-frame one for $159.00 do it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I did: Bought the cheap set. When I need good bits for critical holes, I go to the industrial supply house in town and buy two or three good quality bits of that size. The trip to town justifies the little extra I spend to have spares. These are put in a ziploc freezer bag that I label and toss in the drill index. I couldn't afford a really good set if I spent the money all at one time. If I live long enough and do enough projects, my kids will inherit a good set. I also sprung for a couple of good drill gauges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts