Gunco Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I reload my brass needs to look like it came from the factory.

Is it just me or do you all do the same?

My first step is to put them in a ultrasonic with simple green and a pinch of of lemeshine.
When dry I decap and then they get tumbled.
When I resize I chuck it in the drill and polish it with Brasso before trimming.

Am I going overboard?

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Seriously. Just with hunting loads in straight walled cases. Not to many.

·
NoWorkCamp4Me
5,546 Posts
Back when I was reloading I would just tumble mine in corn cob with a squirt of NuFinish car polish. Got that idea at the CASTBOOLITS website.

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
I do get a bit obsessive with my black powder cases especially the ones for my Martini Henry. Mostly since cases are expensive and not easily obtained.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I reload my brass needs to look like it came from the factory.

Is it just me or do you all do the same?

My first step is to put them in a ultrasonic with simple green and a pinch of of lemeshine.
When dry I decap and then they get tumbled.
When I resize I chuck it in the drill and polish it with Brasso before trimming.

Am I going overboard?
No, not overboard in my opinion but I may be suffering from the same disease, lol.

For years I used to dry tumble my brass but they never seemed shiny or clean enough. Then I switched to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins. What a difference. No more nasty dust, shiny inside and out and clean primer pockets. I think the brass comes out looking better than factory new. Besides being visually appealing it also makes it easier to notice any defects.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
If you use Brasso don't let it sit long on the brass as it contains ammonia.

I prefer Flitz but is so dammed expensive now.
Dangnamit! Correct sir. Hot water bath after all cleaning btw. And I mean hot water. Old school.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
BTW? Does anyone else use Ballistol? A German cleaner i've used for black powder rifles and the earlier primer compound cleaning.

·
Where's my lathe?
1,104 Posts
For years I used to dry tumble my brass but they never seemed shiny or clean enough. Then I switched to wet tumbling with stainless steel pins. What a difference. No more nasty dust, shiny inside and out and clean primer pockets. I think the brass comes out looking better than factory new. Besides being visually appealing it also makes it easier to notice any defects.
Bingo....

·
Registered
43 Posts
BTW? Does anyone else use Ballistol? A German cleaner i've used for black powder rifles and the earlier primer compound cleaning.
Yes, I have found it pretty useful for firearm cleaning, leather cleaning and preservative, and not a bad firearm lube.

Bingo....
A cheap way to get into wet tumbling for those that are interested in trying it out. https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/...one-with-a-Harbor-Freight-Tumbler-/42-367311/. Unfortunately PB has aced most of the pictures but it's pretty easy to figure out.

For what it's worth I sometimes tumble my wife's jewelry along with my brass when it needs cleaning. Same great results, no damage, and happy wife bonus.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Sorry to go off topic. I used flitz on my wife's silver jewelry collection and bags to store it in. A vapor inhibitor type.
Stopped corrosion effects after cleaning in its tracks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts