Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys at work who don't have access to news......

Jury recommended death penalty.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I was going to correct your thread title, but I suspect more California death row inmates hang themselves than are actually executed.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Fewer means of dying are more embarassing than autoerotic asphyxiation.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Fewer means of dying are more embarassing than autoerotic asphyxiation.
Yeah, but I can mention one, a kid we knew, recently died in his car after having sex and falling sleep while the engine was running, both of them died of CO poisoning, it was about 3 weeks ago at the parking lot of FIU.....Now...that is embarrassingly stupid.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Are people still hanged in CA? I thought they were an injection or gas chamber state.

In WA its hanging or Injection, Utah has the firing squad, and southerners like their's fried, But I dunno 'bout CA. I do know that no one has actually been put to death there in over 20 years...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
D.B.Cooper said:
Are people still hanged in CA? I thought they were an injection or gas chamber state....
Pretty sure that when the state kills death row inmates in California it uses lethal injection. But when inmates kill themselves they generally use hanging.

The inmates probably would prefer to commit suicide by lethal injection, but really good heroin and a rig are hard to score on death row.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
He's probably hoping to get put in isolation on death row. There were probably a bunch of bubbas drooling over his pic hoping he'd be put in their cell block.

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pogo said:
He's probably hoping to get put in isolation on death row. There were probably a bunch of bubbas drooling over his pic hoping he'd be put in their cell block.
Yeeeehaaaw........

I think CA has lethal injection. He'll get injected the HI Virus.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I didn't follow the case all that closely, but seems to me that they did a much better job of convicting him of being an unfaithful despicable lying creep than they did of murder.

For example, I found the evidence that a hair found in a toolbox in his boat belonged to his wife to be singularly uncompelling. So what?

Anyway, whether he did it or whether he didn't, he's certainly too clever by half. If he'd just kept his stupid mouth shut from the very beginning he would have walked.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I feel pretty good about the Juries decision after listening to the 3 Jurors answering questions. It sounds like they gave him every benefit of the doubt, in fact one stated that if the bodies had been found anywhere else beside where Peterson put himself that day then he would have walked.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I agree with Mr. D. Sentencing someone to death in a circumstatial evidence case is extraordinary. Usually, a jury will not recommend the death penalty unless they are certain beyond any doubt of the defendant's guilt.

On the other hand, Mark Garagos did a poor job of defending his client. I've never thought highly of him, thought he was a hack when used as a pundit. The man never saw a microphone he didn't like. My guess is any other lawyer would have got Petersen life, if not something even better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Im a little biased towards those that decide to beat their women...
Let the bastard fry...Only after some hardened criminals get their peice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
gunnysmith said:
It appears the jury convicted on emotion rather than evidence.

I agree 100%. Personally I believe he commited the crime, but as a juror? Guess all I can say is I wasn't there. I tried to ignore as much of it as I could due to the media circus. When Geraldo Rivera was condemning the man for fishing for big fish from a small boat on Christmas Eve I knew Geraldo was no fisherman.......(not to mention having witnessing his Al Capone's hideaway escapade, his pathetic talk show, and let's not forget "bin Ladin's Last Stand" in Tora Bora)

I also have to agree with AClay's opinion of Garagos. Definitely a media hound. One of these days he'll end up with some "Cape Fear" of his own. "Counselor!...Counselor!"

Hmm, "Geraldo, Garagos...and Howe"! (Isn't it sickening how the Wisconsin Hunter Massacre lost it's media appeal, yet California trash always gets the spotlight?)

·
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AClay47 said:
I agree with Mr. D. Sentencing someone to death in a circumstatial evidence case is extraordinary. Usually, a jury will not recommend the death penalty unless they are certain beyond any doubt of the defendant's guilt.

On the other hand, Mark Garagos did a poor job of defending his client. I've never thought highly of him, thought he was a hack when used as a pundit. The man never saw a microphone he didn't like. My guess is any other lawyer would have got Petersen life, if not something even better.
Heck, there was a lot more evidence in the OJ case and he walked free.

·
Registered
968 Posts
AZ99 said:
Im a little biased towards those that decide to beat their women...
Let the bastard fry...Only after some hardened criminals get their peice.

I am too, but, as much as I believe he is guilty, I don't think they had enough physical evidence for the death penalty. I absolutely believe he did it and obviously 12 jurors did as well, but I think if you put someone to death, there should be more physical evidence. I would have preferred he got life without parole and put in general population. In the long run, it would save tax payers money because someone would take him out within a year or two. Not to mention he would have yet another date for this year's Christmas party. ;)

So now he gets to sit in a cell , alone, out of general population while the tax payers pay for his room and board for the next 20 years. I'm not against the death penalty by any means but in this case, I think he deserves a little more than an easy death.

I hope Laci can now rest in peace with her little baby, Conner. I also hope the families can find some closure, as I'm sure this isn't easy for either family.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
aviator said:
Heck, there was a lot more evidence in the OJ case and he walked free.
That's absoluetly true. Judge Ito was a media hound, scheduling sessions for prime time whenever possible. The case would have taken two weeks in NC, and no cameras would have been allowed in the courtroom.

The DAs screwed up by allowing a venue transfer. I attended a seminar in which his defense team's jury analysts said there was no doubt he would be acquitted. They got the venue they wanted and it was a bountiful jury pool to select anti-prosecution jurors.

The DAs also were media hounds.

When trials become entertainment, the judicial system loses something important.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Anyone recall the Sam Sheppard case? It made F. Lee Bailey famous and set the precedents for how the media should be handled in high profile cases.

The historic abuses were far worse than anything we see today.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I can only base my opinion on what was reported by the media. I don't think the prosecutors would have convinced me beyond a reasonable doubt that he was guilty. Did he do it? More then likely, yes. There was a lot of emotion in this trial. You can't get away from emotion when dealing with **** sapiens.
That is just the way people are made. I think we should move away from the jury system and have a panel of judges to hear cases. IMHO

1 - 20 of 46 Posts