Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
U.S. Muslims Seek Answers on Fingerprinting of Hajj Pilgrims; CAIR Creates Hotline for Pilgrims Who Face Possible Harassment

1/5/2005 3:29:00 PM


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk

Contact: Ibrahim Hooper, 202-488-8787 or 202-744-7726 or [email protected], Rabiah Ahmed, 202-488-8787 or 202-439-1441 or [email protected], both of the Council on American-Islamic Relations

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5 /U.S. Newswire/ -- A prominent national Islamic civil rights and advocacy group today called on the Bush administration to clarify whether American Muslims participating in this year's Hajj, or pilgrimage to Mecca, will be fingerprinted or singled out for special security measures based on their participation in the annual religious rite.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) also created a "Hajji Hotline" and a downloadable incident report form for those who believe their constitutional rights are being violated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials. ("Hajji" is the term used to describe a Muslim who has completed the Hajj, which begins later this month and concludes around January 21st. Some 10,000 American Muslims go on Hajj each year.)

CAIR's actions follow reports that dozens of American Muslim citizens were singled out recently for security checks and fingerprinting based on their attendance at an Islamic conference in Canada. Several of the Muslim detainees told CAIR they objected strenuously to being fingerprinted, but were informed by CBP representatives that "you have no rights" and that they would be held until they agreed to the fingerprinting procedure. An agency spokesperson later admitted that the Muslim citizens were fingerprinted because of their participation in the Canadian conference.

CAIR called for an investigation of that incident, saying it was a disturbing example of religious profiling that would have a chilling effect on the constitutional rights of American Muslims.

SEE: "Muslims Seek Probe on Being Fingerprinted" http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041230/1022459.asp

Despite repeated requests for clarification from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and CBP, no clear response has been given as to whether mere participation in Islamic religious activities is now being viewed as "probable cause" for increased security checks or forced fingerprinting of U.S. citizens. In a letter to the DHS civil rights office, CAIR Legal Director Arsalan Iftikhar asked the following questions:

"1. Under what U.S. law(s) are border and customs agents given broad authority or discretion to fingerprint and detain American citizens with the threat of arrest for noncompliance? 2. If fingerprinting and detention are refused by an American citizen, what are the legal repercussions of such a refusal? 3. Does mere attendance at an Islamic conference constitute sufficient 'probable cause' of a criminal act to justify a detention which could be legally tantamount to an arrest?"

He urged anyone who believes their constitutional rights have been violated to call CAIR's "Hajji Hotline" at 1-800-784-7526. During business hours, the hotline number rolls over to CAIR's Washington, D.C., switchboard. After hours during the Hajj, a recording will give cell phone numbers for CAIR civil rights staff and the latest information on the legal rights of U.S. citizens at border crossings.

Iftikhar also urged those going on Hajj to download an incident report form from http://www.cair- net.org/downloads/hajji.pdf and to keep it handy for the return trip to the United States. CAIR's Civil Rights Department can also be reached by e-mailing [email protected].

CAIR, America's largest Muslim civil liberties group, has 30 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.

NOTE: CAIR offers an e-mail list designed to be a journalist's window to the American Muslim community. Subscribers to the list, called ISLAM-INFONET, receive news releases and other materials dealing with American Muslim positions on issues of importance to our society.
 

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Joined
·
13,384 Posts
I've got a good idea for them. Let em go to Mecca and stay there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
...CAIR Legal Director Arsalan Iftikhar asked the following questions:

"1. Under what U.S. law(s) are border and customs agents given broad authority or discretion to fingerprint and detain American citizens with the threat of arrest for noncompliance? 2. If fingerprinting and detention are refused by an American citizen, what are the legal repercussions of such a refusal? 3. Does mere attendance at an Islamic conference constitute sufficient 'probable cause' of a criminal act to justify a detention which could be legally tantamount to an arrest?"...
Those, in fact, are quite excellent questions.

Anyone care to speculate as to what the answers may be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Pogo said:
I've got a good idea for them. Let em go to Mecca and stay there.
Say, can we get the Catholics to stay in St. Peter's Square, too?
 

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Those, in fact, are quite excellent questions.

Anyone care to speculate as to what the answers may be?
If the questions came from someone legitimate, I would take them seriously.

I don't take legal issues raised by terror groups seriously.
 

·
Gunco Irregular
Joined
·
4,323 Posts
I guess I haven't forgotten the incident with Klinton and the F.B.I. files, so this does worry me. If Mr D's crowd gets back in control am I going to be on a list that gets singled out for finger printing? We are talking about U.S. citizens and so whatever happens to them can happen to us. JMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
If the questions came from someone legitimate, I would take them seriously.

I don't take legal issues raised by terror groups seriously.
When did CAIR make the Department of Justice's listing of terror groups?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
... We are talking about U.S. citizens and so whatever happens to them can happen to us. JMHO.
Yep, a lot of folks forget about the power of precedent. What they can do to the other guy, they can do to you. The government usually starts with an unpopular group that has no public support to start the process.

For an exaggerated example (no, I'm not saying that the US is run by Nazis), consider this rather famous statement:

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.


Pastor Martin Niem?ller
 

·
Friend of MCMXI
Joined
·
8,717 Posts
Some 10,000 American Muslims go on Hajj each year.)

CAIR's actions follow reports that dozens of American Muslim citizens were singled out recently ......
Dozens out of 10,000. Sounds like a pretty small percentage to me. I'd think the number would be much larger if they were trying single out a religion.
 

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Joined
·
13,384 Posts
Preacher said:
Dozens out of 10,000. Sounds like a pretty small percentage to me. I'd think the number would be much larger if they were trying single out a religion.
Yep!

Couldn't it possibly be that it's because there is such a high number of terrorists, terrorist supporters, and sympathizers in the so called religion of peace?
Duh! :ranting:
 

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Yep, a lot of folks forget about the power of precedent. What they can do to the other guy, they can do to you. The government usually starts with an unpopular group that has no public support to start the process.

For an exaggerated example (no, I'm not saying that the US is run by Nazis), consider this rather famous statement:

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.


Pastor Martin Niem?ller
Not that crap again.....
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top