Gunco Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called AIM today to place an order and wanted the plastic tip ammo they offered. I told the guy I would not fire it I wanted it to collect. then he told me it was not plastic tip at all, it realy is a copper jacket over a thin lead layer. the bullet is hollow, that is why it is so light 46 gr but no plastic. I took a pass on it and bought some other stuff instead.

·
Registered
681 Posts
howdy, hotbarrel..
I believe i saw the same stuff on the centerfire site... called "hollow core", and I THINK it was 7.62x54, 46 gr. they said that these were for distances of under 200 yds, understandably so given the very light bullet weight, and it looks like the core is actually filled with something ( could be a polymer type of stuff???) I would wonder about the accuracy of these things, due to the shape and weight (sectional density and ballistic coefficient must be terrible) but maybe as a defense round??? could cause some serious problems for someone at close range...however, I have been handloading for a long time, and have never actually seen these things before... collector's item...hmmm.. probably not a whole lot of these out there???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts