Gunco Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bradrock said:
I bought a bunch of the Korean 30-06. The kind loaded in Garrand clips with bandoliers. Out of three clips I had four cases split. One of them clear through the base. It is stamped KA 72. I'm afraid to shoot it in my Garrand anymore. Still have it but don't know what I'll do with it?
Same thing happened to me.... I wasn't going to chance blowing uo my Garand either. The loads were okay, so I transfered the powder and bullets to some Winchester brass. Worked great.

Korean PS Headstamp (GOOD)

Korean KA Headstamp (KRAP)

·
Proud Confederate
2,821 Posts
COYOTE3 said:
Same thing happened to me.... I wasn't going to chance blowing uo my Garand either. The loads were okay, so I transfered the powder and bullets to some Winchester brass. Worked great.

Korean PS Headstamp (GOOD)

Korean KA Headstamp (KRAP)

Man .....SSSHHHHHH...I'm trying to get me some Garand Fodder :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The only problems i've had with 7.62X39 is with a bunch of Egypytian surplus I bought. Lots of dud rounds.

My recently purchased 1982 dated Polish 7.62X54 splits at the neck with my Mosin 91/30 but shoots ok.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have not experienced any issues with 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 in any of my rifles.
However there are a few issues out there on other types of ammo.

Albanian 7.62x54r = Poor QC with wrinkled necks and other issues. No problems firing it other than a split case neck or two.

Igman SS-109 = Ammo is new production and has blown multiple primers in numerous AR's.

Yugo 1950's 8mm = Hard primers with 50% needing second strikes. Used in three different mausers with same results.

Indian .308 = Crap!

7.65 Argentine = Century bought the last of this stuff from Springfield Sporters and it is junk. Looks like it was sitting in a leaky shed for the last 50 years.

Guat 5.56 = Mixed reviews on this stuff while some seems to be very nice others tarnished with a high percentage of questionable rounds.

Santa Barbara 9mm = Century sold a ton of this stuff a few years back and it occasionaly pops up. Hard primers that do not work well in various pistols. This is the semi jacketed stuff.

I could go on about some others but they seem to have dried up from the market.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had my first taste of British 5.56 NATO surplus today...

Shot 4"+ groups at 100yds. Very sporadic from shot to shot. Unpredictable powder / speed. Could tell a difference in bang and recoil, from same batch of ammo.

Had one of about 150 rds that failed to fire.

·
Unclear Engineer
1,014 Posts
I have had 2 squibs out of about 200 rounds of Brown Bear 9mm. There is just enough powder (or maybe it is just the primer) to drive the bullet .5 inch or so into the bore, but not enough to cycle the action. The case ejects OK manually. The bullet goes far enough to allow another round to be chambered. I would imagine that firing a round with a bullet lodged .5 inch into the bore would be enough to blow up most handguns.

Although I like and have never had any trouble with 7.62x39 Bear ammo, I have heard bad things about the Bear handgun ammo. Now I have first hand experience. I wont be buying any more.

OBTW. The manufacturer was Barnaul (just like the good rifle ammo :dunno: ).

·
Registered
261 Posts
WOLF

I've had this happen twice with Wolf. Normally not a big deal, but this one was fired in a Yugo SKS. The primer dislodged and went into the FCG and disabled the weapon. I had to disassemble it to retrieve the spent primer.
The primer was blowm out, not because of high pressure, but due to there being NO flash holes in the case.

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
Was that hollow point Wolf?
A freind and myself found that Wolf HP is some-what low quality. We never had the problem you did but we were piercing primiers and the crud was blowing back into the firing pin and jamming it. This was only happening with the Wolf HP in the SKS, I got a Yugo and he also has a Chinese, the FMJ worked fine for us and the HP work fine in the AKs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Coils said:
Was that hollow point Wolf?
A freind and myself found that Wolf HP is some-what low quality. We never had the problem you did but we were piercing primiers and the crud was blowing back into the firing pin and jamming it. This was only happening with the Wolf HP in the SKS, I got a Yugo and he also has a Chinese, the FMJ worked fine for us and the HP work fine in the AKs.
It was Wolf FMJ. The Yugo SKS was an unissued grade.
It also happen in my AK, but caused no problems other than having to extract the case by hand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
wish i would have seen this a year ago.
indain 308 ruined one of my 1919 barrels.
it came in a clear plastic bag. you can see projectiles with runout through the bag.
i have had lots of cases dog bone crack to major failures.
i guess i new better with cheap 308 ammo. it wasnt worth trying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the same problem as SlamFire. Out of I don't know how many rounds of Wolf 122gr FMJ, I've had maybe three that the flash holes were not drilled, had a couple that just FTF and maybe ten FTE's.

The best, by far of the 7.62x39 have been the Yugoslav surplus. Considerable accuracy and reliability are the norm with it.

Cosmetically, the Albanian 7.62x54r brass cased, cause me considerable concern, but it shoots well with amazing accuracy.

Brian

·
THE 9mm ADDICT
4,175 Posts
I had TWO duds tonight in my 7.62X25 stuff from Romania. It is the 1980's stuff. Two duds out 100.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Use caution with surplus TZZ .308 (Israeli). I wasn't hurt, the gun was not damaged (amazingly), but it wasn't fun.

I also once found a primer seated sideways in Wolf .223. I actually found a number and called Wolf and told them about it. "Those things happen sometimes. Sorry." They did offer to send a label so I could send in the remaining ammo and they would replace it, but I didn't figure it was worth the trouble.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
WTK Is the 5.45x39 Wasp Ammo any good?

deleted

·
THE 9mm ADDICT
4,175 Posts
I am having 10 % duds on my IMI ammo from RGUNS.net .

I am also having a problem with them telling me, "This is what I should expect for the price I paid"!

$150.00/case of 1000 rounds plus shipping.

Last time I will do business with RGUNS.net !

·
Registered
21 Posts
I need some help in identifying some ammo I was given recently.

It's Winchester 7.62mm. The Proof of Purchase label reads Q3130.

Headstamp reads WCC 97 + (Nato Cross)

Is this .308 or something else?

Thanks for any help!

Sorry if it should be obvious...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts