Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys got everything riveted up and got to the rear trunion. i put the 3/8 cup in the bar that goes in the ram and tried pressing the rivets. the rivets werent compressong in a staight line and i ended up taking them out.

is this how you guys with the jig do yours??

i did not have the set screw in the side of the ram tightened now that i think of it. do you think this was my problem??

the trigger guard using 7.62 jig worked great.
the front trunion using plinkers tool worked great.

need some help on the rear, thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Funny how that works, the trigger guard jig of 7.62's worked rather poorly for me (by no fault of 7.62 or his jig) and Plinker's jig worked like a dream. Proof that not everyone's experience is the same. On Plinker's jig I found that you really need to take the time to make sure that everything is dead nuts straight up and down or you will not have satisfactory results. Once you have everything bolted down and pretty much perfectly inline then it should work like a dream. I ground up a couple of sets of the bolt cutter rivet squeezers like Hcpookie's and I love those. With a little practice you can do just as nice of a job as you can with Plinker's jig and they are a lot less set up for me. But, they will not do those long rivets for the center support or the rear trunion.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have found the same problem in doing my rear trunnion rivets. So what I did is to hammer the rivet (you can control the direction) until I get a flat head starting. It doesn't have to be much of a flat head. Then I switch to Plinker's jig and finish them with round heads. I did notice that the arm on Plinker's jig would pivot upwards a little as I was pressing the rivet which would give me a not so perfect head. I mean it looks okay and comparing it to my WASR/SAR it doesn't look to bad. But next time I plan on inserting a thin feeler gauge to prevent any upward movement of the arm.

Also make sure that your supporting the receiver correctly as you press the rivet. And you have to remember that this is BIY type tools not factory so everything works differently. I've added a picture of my finished rear trunnion rivets, as I said there not perfect but they work. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
That probably the coolest thing about all of this. Some stuff works well for some and some works better for others. I suspect that as all this goes on (different methods of doing a particular job) it will boil down to a better method in all respects for building an AK. Jack

·
Registered
237 Posts
I do not know what you guys are using, but my plinker jig came with a special jig for the rear trunnion rivits.
It took me a couple of rivits to figure it out, but once I did, it does rear trunnion rivits perfectly.
I got my jig from plinker about 6 months ago and he said it was a new piece he made up just for the rear rivits.
Maybe you guys need to e-mail him and see if he can hook you up with the new part.
As for 762 Trigger jig, it works great, though I use a 6'' C clamp the hold the rec tight to the jig while I press the rivits.
Having these tools for this is excellent and it allows me to have more AK's than if I had to buy only custom builds from a smith or factory made rifles.
You also do not have the wait time. Nothing like instant gratification.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have made a few of these rear riveters because of mixed results with the trunnion riveter. The dilemma I am having is that the amout of time to build these for the number of rivets they do skews the price. Most of the parts are made on the lathe. I am thinking around $40 delivered. It would be a tool that would complement the bolt cutter riveters if you don't want to set them with a hammer.

I'll whine here for a bit, but my other problem is time. Building the trunnion riveters is taking up most of my free time so unfortunately I don't have a lot to build other parts. I have a couple of Brens and a MG42 I want to build but haven't been able to start plus snowmobiling season starts soon. I enjoy building riveters and will continue to do so, but just want to give and excuse why it takes me a while.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I want one...email has been sent. TK

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ditto on the Ditto. PM sent and order placed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will need to order the shoulder bolts I use to make these, but will start making the other parts. I will be going through your emails and PM's the next two days as get a chance. I can include a centering tool for the smaller rivets used on the center supports too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you have any of the rivet tools for sale? I am doing my first AK build (AMD 65) and trying to get all the tools to do it with. If so how much for the tools?

Thanks, Tobacco Man

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
This tool is a "must have" it is very quick to set up and does an excellent job. It is a simple concept, but ingenius in the design. It is well worth the $40, I would not take anything for mine if I could not replace it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i got mine on wed. excellent design and craftsmanship as usual, thank you very much plinker, i appreciate it, aaron.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts