Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey K-VAR has the 30rd mag bodies for sale on there site! $14.99-OD. $16.99-Plum! You get a extra discount if your a member of there Forum also! :)

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
what ya gonna use for followers?
They are diffferent then the 5.45

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
DrugRunR said:
what ya gonna use for followers?
They are diffferent then the 5.45
You could modify the 5.45 followers to work in the 5.56. The 5.45 floorplates work fine (tried both bulgarian and east german).

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
If I ever get around to playing with a 5.56 AK, I will just stick with these

Polish Beryl Mags
5.56x45
Yeah they are kinda pricey at $60 each, but they are RARE
Sorry I had to rotate the picture to fit into the size limits

It is marked 5.56x45
That is what is in the raised rectangle.

CHARLES

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
DrugRunR said:
If I ever get around to playing with a 5.56 AK, I will just stick with these

Polish Beryl Mags
5.56x45
Yeah they are kinda pricey at $60 each, but they are RARE
Sorry I had to rotate the picture to fit into the size limits

It is marked 5.56x45
That is what is in the raised rectangle.

CHARLES
Charles, to field a silly question is there any polish 5.56 rifles in the US or do you foresee any of the polish 5.56 kits making it to the US? BTW, nice looking mag.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Neat pic, I'd love to see a side by side shot of those mags in comparison to the Bulgarian waffles, Weiger, and Norinco mags.

I've got a pic around here somewhere from an old K-var Bulgie 5.56 kit that came with a similar slab-side Bulgarian mag but I haven't seen a single rifle on any of the gun boards with that mag or the Beryl mag that I recall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Too cool! I have a few black polymer ribbed Bulgarian 5.56 mags. I just may order a few of the green & plum shells for the collection. I wonder what the story is with these? Hmmmm, made for export to the U.S.? Anyhow, my guess is that after the ban sunsets they import the missing links... the spring assamblies, followers & floor plates.

The Polish Wz.96 mags are very nice, they also make a 20rder. Unfortunetly no Polish AK's have ever been imported for sale here (for us peasants that is) in the U.S.; 5.56 parts kits OR single stack 5.56 Wz.96 "Beryl" clones could be possible in the future; one thing is for sure, if it ever happens, either will not be the cheapest when compared to others that are currently being imported. Polish made AK's are of very high quality.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
KWB52 said:
I wonder what the story is with these? Hmmmm, made for export to the U.S.? Anyhow, my guess is that after the ban sunsets they import the missing links... the spring assamblies, followers & floor plates.
It is not illegal to import parts - specifically, the parts in question are the magazine body. The legal definition of a magazine is 3 parts - the magazine body, magazine floorplate, and magazine follower.

Therefore, one could even legally make brand-new only the magazine bodies. Just like RPB, FSE, etc. etc. have made only the magazine floorplates, and the magazine followers.

To quote Colonel Sanders, "Parts is Parts"

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I was referring to was... I was just wondering if the bodies were manufactured by Arsenal of Bulgaria for K-Var (U.S. market) specifically, or if they are in fact current or past production/export option.

·
Registered
109 Posts
KWB52 said:
What I was referring to was... I was just wondering if the bodies were manufactured by Arsenal of Bulgaria for K-Var (U.S. market) specifically, or if they are in fact current or past production/export option.
Forgive me if this is a sore spot for anyone here...
Remember when the Chief was taking orders for the various colored Bulgarian waffle mags? Very few made it in and there was quite a bit of controversy regarding their pre/post ban status. I would guess that some of these mag bodies might be NOS (new old stock), then again the plum factor seems directly geared for U.S. market demands. K-var probably knows but they tend to be a little slow replying to questions on their forum.

I am really curious how the Polish 5.56 mags differ from the other various countries 5.56 mags.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Evil_Walks said:
Forgive me if this is a sore spot for anyone here...
Remember when the Chief was taking orders for the various colored Bulgarian waffle mags? Very few made it in and there was quite a bit of controversy regarding their pre/post ban status. I would guess that some of these mag bodies might be NOS (new old stock), then again the plum factor seems directly geared for U.S. market demands. K-var probably knows but they tend to be a little slow replying to questions on their forum.

I am really curious how the Polish 5.56 mags differ from the other various countries 5.56 mags.
I wish I would have ordered a bunch of the colored 7.62 waffles from the chief. They seem to sell for a good price. Kvar only has 250 of the plum mag bodies according to the email sent. As for the OD I'm not sure. I would love to have some plum waffles in 5.56 but need to watch how much I am spending (I spent to much last month, lol). also in the email sent about the OD mag bodies from kvar it said the mag bodies were for repair of existing high cap magazines. My thinking is that if you have an existing high cap you can use the mag bodies with no problem. It doesn't say an existing 5.56 mag so my feeling is that the mag bodies could be used with ak-74 mag parts with no legal problems. I could be wrong but this is how I am seeing it (I'm not a lawyer and I don't try to play one on the internet, so I could be wrong). I am just wondering what is going to happen in september with the AWB going away and the sudden import of a bunch of cool stuff. Will prices be high or low? Also will 5.56 followers, floorplates, etc start coming in for these mag bodies?

·
Registered
109 Posts
You read my mind! I think the 5.45 internals might be in the gray area of the law regarding manufacture of high capacity mags, obviously swapping from one black Bulgarian 5.56 mag body to another color body should be of no consequence as you still only have one identical high capacity mag. Robarms manages to get by by putting their followers in a 5.45 mag for the Veprs with the assumption that the mags still function in 5.45 rifles.

Yeah, c'mon September! All this legalese is too much to bear (and there just have to be some 40-45 round 5.56 waffles out there!), hopefully recent import trends just get better and better. I'm not much of an optimist though, I'm trying to snatch up what I can just in case stricter legislation comes to replace what we're already dealing with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What about using the Bulgarian 5 rnd double stack mag (KVAR # M-74N5) as a source for the floor plate and follower? A cheap East German bakelite mag could be "rebuilt" by replacing all the parts around the spring perhaps?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gone&didit said:
What about using the Bulgarian 5 rnd double stack mag (KVAR # M-74N5) as a source for the floor plate and follower? A cheap East German bakelite mag could be "rebuilt" by replacing all the parts around the spring perhaps?

Sounds like a winner to me! Maybe a little pricey, those 5 and 10 round mags aren't exactly cheap at $13-15. (then again the 5.56 waffles are going $30-35 when you can find them) Need to do some spring comparison...

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Gone&didit said:
Careful, we're walking on that fine line where you could be considered as MANUFACTURING a high-cap mag, which is banned. I know its BS, but it is the law until Sept.... be careful.

The replacement magazine parts are like the pre-ban configuration replacement receivers that get shipped in from time to time... specifically the AUG replacement A2 receivers. Send the old part back, get the new part and retain pre-ban status.

Break your C-Mag, send back to betaco for repair, (or replacement of defective part), get the new part and retain pre-ban status.

Buy a pre-ban magazine body, assemble w/ post-ban floorplate and follower, IOW *NOT* stripping the parts from your EXISTING black 5.56 mag, you could be considered to be manufacturing a high-cap banned mag.

Just be careful... I don't think the law is very clear on this particular subject, but I know that you can't just make one from post-ban parts. The build-up of the pre-ban mags that high-cap did to make the 45-rounder '74 mags worked with all preban parts. He got an ATF letter saying it was OK. The 72-round 9mm Uzi drums made from Suomi mags and other "cross-model" conversions were not allowed... ATF said no.

Now... if you had a pre-ban 5.56 mag, you could use that follower & floorplate all day long, since you aren't building a *NEW* mag, rather you are swapping the replacement parts for your old mag.

I hope all this makes sense... I am worried that this is going to fall under the "for repair or replacement only" category... just can't say for sure. I think I would err on the side of caution, unless a legal eagle can make a clarification for us.

Or just buy all that now, and wait until Sept. to assemble! ;)

- Jerry

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
I have to agree about using parts from post ban mags. But if using a preban ak-74 mag (and its parts) and comparing it to the 5.56 waffle mag parts they look really close. I took some pictures to show how they look side by side.

The Ak-74 spring is on the top and the spring from a 5.56 waffle is on the bottom.

For comparison the -74 follower is on the left and the 5.56 follower on the right. Notice the scribe line on the brown (-74) follower. That is how much would need to be removed to make it work in a 5.56 waffle mag body.

Other than the finish the floorplates are the same and fit on either the ak-74 or the 5.56 waffle mag body.

Disclaimer:
I'm not saying if it is legal or not to use the ak-74 mag parts in the waffle mag bodies. I am showing the comparison of the two for those that want to know. In other words I'm not saying to do the modifications, that is entirely up to you and no one else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great posts here. (Nice pics too sniper69!) We all want to do the right thing, nobody here is looking to profit by constructing illegal "high-capacity" magazines. It's just the issue of various 5.56 AK's and their mags and availability that makes things tough. I compared the Bulgie 5.56 springs to the E.German and Bulgie 5.45 springs just as sniper69 did with the same results, his pictures turned out better than mine though. (I did shoot a pic of the 5.56 Norinco springs which seemed to be noticably different, they're still laying out if I can manage a better shot I'll go ahead and post it)

I've tried a couple of 'used' Robarms followers in the EG bakes with two 5.56 Norinco rifles with results that weren't much better than standard 5.45 mags. I tend to believe the mag profile more than the follower results in reliable feeding but I'm willing to keep playing along until either I find a good combo or laws change.

Guess the jury's still out on this but it is an interesting topic!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just recieved my K-var order, including one of the ten round Bulgarians. The floor plate and follower appear to be identical to those from a 30 round waffle mag that I ordered from Magua industries many moons ago. As expected, the spring is only half as long.
While examination and comparison of the two sets of parts is almost certainly legal, going much further probably isn't. We may not agree with the law but we are still bound to observe it, so I think I'll wrap everything back up and save any further experimentation for after the ban.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Evil_Walks said:
I've tried a couple of 'used' Robarms followers in the EG bakes with two 5.56 Norinco rifles with results that weren't much better than standard 5.45 mags. I tend to believe the mag profile more than the follower results in reliable feeding but I'm willing to keep playing along until either I find a good combo or laws change.

Guess the jury's still out on this but it is an interesting topic!
Did you modify the EG mags at the sholder area? I'm looking to modify some and it appears the sholder area is different (between the EG mag and the Norinco model). Also the EG mags do not lock into place. I've not investigated very far as of yet, but If anybody HAS had sucess, I'd be interested in what worked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts