Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mititary leaving 50's, Cops giving themselves tickets, man talk about a good laugh

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/1231nechief31.html

Police chief cites self in gun incident

Lesley Wright
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 31, 2004 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]SCOTTSDALE - In a Barney Fife moment, Scottsdale Police Chief Alan Rodbell had to write himself up after inadvertently running into the city's jail with an unsecured gun.

The move violated General Order 58.02.A3 of city code, as was noted by City Manager Jan Dolan in a Dec. 15 "Letter of Counseling."

Rodbell was in the parking lot of police headquarters at Via Linda and 90th Street on Dec. 10 when he heard the call for help from the detention facility. Police were subduing a combative prisoner and Rodbell ran over the yellow line that marks the no-weapons holding area. He still had his city-issued Glock 40 in his holster.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It turned out the fracas was over by the time he got there and he carried on with his day.

The chief said he did not think about it again until a few days later, when a deputy chief told him that rumors were circulating that he had taken a gun past the yellow line.

"I went ahead and directed an internal investigation," said Rodbell, whose record with the city is otherwise spotless.

He conceded that bringing a gun into a jail where prisoners might be violent was not the wisest move, and he took the report to Dolan to see what he should do to reprimand himself.

"I was concerned about the safety and welfare of the police officers," he said. "By taking that gun into the area, I may have created a new safety risk."

The Letter of Counseling advised him to cease with such activities. No problem, he said. "I rarely make the same mistake twice."if(ScriptsLoaded) stInit();[/font]

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Well at least he's setting a good example to his subordinates by letting himself off the hook.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
How is he letting himself off the hook Klauss? He is probably getting the same punishment any one else would have received.

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
OOOPPPS I meant to say not letting himslef off the hook, that' what happens when you wake up and try to go online and post.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Unfortunately it is VERY easy to forget and and bring your weapon in with you. We all need to be reminded occasionally !

I recall , last year about this time , three ( or five ? ) cops being killed in the south because they were questioning a youth who flipped out , grabbed the gun off of one of them that had accidentally brought it into the secured area.

THE JAIL IS AN ABSOLUTE GUN FREE ZONE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts