Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I hear vulcan has moved their ser. number so the reciever will accept a folder. SOoo I have a vulcan on the way and a new global polish kit on the way. I am looking forward to the new chalanges of installing a folder. I am going to weld it open and try to hide the weld so it can't be seen. orders placed for now , but I will update as things happen. I realy love the polish kits and it will be nice to not have to buy a wood stock this time.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am going to keep posting here as this rifle comes along.
So here is what came in the mail today. My first package from global. enclosed is oversized barrel pins, [just in case], U.S. made slant brakes, and a U.S. grip. I do not think I will use the grip but I have it if I want to. I allready have tapco G2 F.C.G., and tapco stainless gas piston.. now all I need is my PMKMS , reciever, and rivets.
Hopefully the pmkms will be here next week, with the rivets and reciever soon after. I would post a photo of the break but I think It is a bit HO HMU. I will post the reciever when it gets here to show the repositinoed ser. number. I will post photos of the pmkms when it arives. I will try to get photos of the bucking bar in use if I can but work realy dose not like cameras.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
teusday I will try to get a photo for you to see. "dam camera" If I can get a photo up you can see how easy it is. realy no reason to buy an expensive tool. well just a press. I will give some details of what I do as I press them too. I do not do it all in one crush ,,, so they come out nice

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
great news. a box from Global was at the door today.
It is a super nice looking kit. I did however notice a few differances in the parts this time. first I noticed the grip is black, not the usual redish brown. next I noticed the bolt and carrier are not parked, they are bare metal. I had another kit come once with the bolt and carrier polished. this one is differant. next I noticed the thumb button that holdes the reciever cover in place is not parked either. last is the clear coat on the hand guard has some bubbles in it.
All numbers match, I like that. finish looks great evryware I see no ware anyware, realy this is another great polish kit.
I am building this kit because I finaly can keep it original look with a new vulcan. So now I have to decide, park the carrier and, or the cover retainer.
I think I will leave it up to you guys. I will do whatever the majority wants to see. so guys, to park or not to park that is the question. also what kind of break? it is going to be U.S. but what kind slant, ak , krink what.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can see the bucking bar in the photo, it is on the floor and the reciever is an older one so I can not use it with the folder. so now I wate for a new reciever.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
here are the photos of the bucking bar in the trunion.four are done down through the front and two through the trigger hole. their are no rivets in now because I am going to use another reciever. you can see how easy it is to use. basicaly I just put the hardened pin of the bar over the rivet and press on the bar to crush the rivet. Actualy I do it in a few steps so it comes out nice but you could just crush and it would work fine. I will go into detail of my steps, the what and why, after I crush them. shurly no need for anything fancy or a pricy gizmo unless you got extra bucks. you just have to drive a pin down hard enough to crush the rivet.

P.S. clearly it will be in the press not on a paper box when crushing LOL
but as mentioned work will not alow photos taken in the building

·
Registered
412 Posts
hotbarrel said:
here are the photos of the bucking bar in the trunion.four are done down through the front and two through the trigger hole. their are no rivets in now because I am going to use another reciever. you can see how easy it is to use. basicaly I just put the hardened pin of the bar over the rivet and press on the bar to crush the rivet. Actualy I do it in a few steps so it comes out nice but you could just crush and it would work fine. I will go into detail of my steps, the what and why, after I crush them. shurly no need for anything fancy or a pricy gizmo unless you got extra bucks. you just have to drive a pin down hard enough to crush the rivet.

P.S. clearly it will be in the press not on a paper box when crushing LOL
but as mentioned work will not alow photos taken in the building
Nice pictures! Keep 'em comin'! I have a couple of irons in the fire right now. I have to make a front trunion pressing fixture, a barrel pressing fixture, then I will have to make a rivity jiget as soon as I get caught up. I was thinking of making one of those big rivet crushers! I like the simplicity of your set up! I also thought that Global was sold out of the Polish kits. I will have to check and see if I can afford to order one of those for build number 2!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin :notworthy

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thumb Clip Pull Pin
hay you forgot something ,,,,,,, to park or not to park?????
come on evryone!!!! park or no park no answers means nouthing will see the hot acid. I think that cover retainer will look funny sticking out unfinished.

·
Registered
412 Posts
hotbarrel said:
Thumb Clip Pull Pin
hay you forgot something ,,,,,,, to park or not to park?????
come on evryone!!!! park or no park no answers means nouthing will see the hot acid. I think that cover retainer will look funny sticking out unfinished.
Yes Sir!
I am definately going to park the AMD 65. I work with a guy that has the tanks and chemestry. I have asked him to do this rifle and a FAL at the same time!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how about polishing the carrier?? any votes for that? I had one come polished from global and it looks NICE.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
hotbarrel....

I finally got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked at the previous pics of your buck and now these but didn't understand what I was looking at.

Now I get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz am I slow or what?

Very nice.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hay Toten Kopf
how about it,,, park, polish, paint, plate, in the black or what. their are a lot of choises out their . place your vote now.
so far it is three for park, and zero for anything else.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Ugh! said:
Park and paint everything.
Park it, polishing it is a lot of work! LOL

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Parkerizing (do you mean phosphating) is the way to go. Not only looks cool but protects the gun.
If you do phosphate just remember to remove "ALL" springs. Including the mag catch spring (PITA). Phosphating causes the springs to become brittle and will cause failure (they will break).

If I couldn't phosphate then I'd use Gun Kote or something along those lines.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PARK IT IS "phosphate"
Toten Kopf
thanks for the heads up, I never would have thought of that. All springs will come out. I think I will heat up the acid tonight or tomorow. and of course it will include pics...
I think this is the first time anyone has done a build like this. to get other members involved. ONLY here ONLY on this sight :rockin:

·
Registered
103 Posts
hotbarrel said:
I am looking forward to the new chalanges of installing a folder. I am going to weld it open and try to hide the weld so it can't be seen.
Heya Hotbarrel, do you have to weld the underfolder? :scared: Can't you just take out the spring and put in a spacer or something so that the button can't be pushed? Or maybe use a roll pin to keep it from rotating? I'd hate to have such a permanent solution used and then see you regret it when/if the AWB drops come September.

When I do my Polish build I'm going to look at some permanent, yet fixable, options for securing the underfolder.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hay thanks for the idea. I will look into that, maby pins are a good idea. as with most evrything on this build I am going with the majority. if I get a few for pin it will be pin or if weld is prefered it will be weld. If I realy want to I can make either one go away later.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts