Gunco Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
^^ YUP both sets of my grans & 1 set of great grans survived the depression & they used that in their "life lessons" to us as little kids... all the time.

great grans were german jew & indian ...(died in 79) both sets of grans were married in 1932 ... they are all dead now. (died in 88,92,96, 02)

but the story's they told us.. the last group to hear them from "the source".. now we have to recount them to our kids second hand with the pictures they left us.

Reactions: nutznboltz

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Funny to be the "old man"these days:) I do my best to not recount how things were.ROFL! Fryedup? Not busting your balls sir. You've acted very graciously since you got back. Kudos.
However. Guys,dudes a simple howdy or just start talking. We're like minded people here. Cool man? Moringa is supposed to be the plant that may save the starving people in Haiti. A + is drought stricken regions still allow it to grow.
Nutrients,proteins and whatever the body needs make it worth checking out.
Me? We're starting tomato seeds today. Can't stand store bought.blech!:)

·
NoWorkCamp4Me
5,546 Posts
I'd be a goner these days if SHTF. Living in a Condo might be dog eat dog. I use to read Mother Earth News before my health problems. Still have the know how to be a MacGyver, but my lungs are broken. My COPD will only get worse. I think of myself as like the old Army Ranger in the movie THE POSTMAN. I know things.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
got a 400acre cattle field that borders me with a couple ponds on it... i dunno if theres any fish in there or not...

but if im hungry & those cows are all gone? im gonna drown a worm trying to find out. :)

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Sold the family property last year. We live on a couple acres in the middle of a 100 acres. Pretty cool life to have. Pond over the bank,two more springs in walking distance,a mean wife( that's a joke),a couple firearms in the safe bolted in concrete,know how to can and I think Sean remembers the high ground;) The woodstove as the primary heat source. We're gtg.
The depression? My doughboy grandad went from a business to sharecropper overnight. Died from the stress before I was born.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The saddest truth is in the event of a collapse some will survive and some won't and the truth is none of it will be fair or even logical. We will all do our best to protect those we love and to do what we need to to try and keep them alive and well.

I guess my point is some will plan and prepare for the apocalypse and some like me will plan and prepare for natural disasters, truck strikes or delivery problems preventing the stores from being supplied, or the illness of a family member that severely cuts income and cause hardships that way. Understanding each others motivations, and especially means, to accomplish your prepping goals means we may not look at it the same way. But that's okay too. Listen and we may actually learn from each other.

I have to run, trying to figure out where to buy Moringa!!:nanabang:

Reactions: nutznboltz

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
:rofl::rofl: No worries dude. Just learned about it recently myself.
Don't recall our old friend Black Blade talking about it either:)

Hope he sees this and responds:)www.seed rack.com helps

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The more I think about this the most serious issue is heat in the winter. I do not have a fireplace or woodstove and that might be my next big ticket item to look at. I know for a fact that either one of those would have saved me a ton of money the last few years. especially since I have probably close to 4 or 5 cords of wood already cut and split as well as another 4 or 5 waiting to be split and at least 3 or 4 times that many trees needing felling on my property.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
We'll try this again. Don't know much about you and not my business.
That said if you have the area to install a woodstove maybe you should. We purchased a new stove before the winter set in. Very efficient and the same BTUs. Cheap?
About 2500$. Half the wood used tho.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Check my thread. Don't recall the cost on the chimney rebuild. Worth it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That said if you have the area to install a woodstove maybe you should. We purchased a new stove before the winter set in. Very efficient and the same BTUs. Cheap?
About 2500$. Half the wood used tho.
What do you want to know about me? Without divulging my name or location i have no troubles telling you most anything.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What would you like to know? I'm 58, married, father of 2 sons and my wife has 2 daughters. We have a German Shepherd, 2 indoor and 7 outdoor cats, as well as a Gecko. I am a retired career firefighter/EMT, but still working part-time for another department as their Training Chief, as well as volunteering where I live. I teach fire training part-time for the tech college. I am an amateur woodworker, obviously I like firearms and shooting. I am not a hunter, but I have hunted and I am not opposed to people hunting to feed their families.

I believe in live and let live. I believe there are only 2 kinds of people in the world, Good people and A--holes. Nothing else about you matters, sex, sexual orientation color, race, religious beliefs, political affiliation, you are either a Good people or an A--hole.

Anything else you'd like to know?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Disregard.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Disregard.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Okay so why aren't my posts showing up?

The problem seems to be fixed! Yay!! For a second I thought I got booted!!

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
I've been having better luck on posting for now by hitting go advanced and then the submit reply

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
With access to that amount of firewood, a good stove seems like a must have.

Depending on the type of wood of course.

Locust is best, then oak.

Never let any one talk you into allowing them to dump a load of gum on your property

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have some oak, some locust, some black walnut and a mix of other stuff. No gum that I am aware of.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Locust. Oh yeah!!! Oak is great. Walnut isn't the best but it works. I've used it. When it's cold? Burn it. I've used poplar even when it's cold but it's like newspaper.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I had an outdoor forced air wood stove heating my old shop and I burned anything wood wise I could get back then. Try burning some dried out Weeping Willow. A piece 2 feet across and 16 inches long weighs about 2 pounds and burns up like POOF!!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts