Gunco Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
Joined
·
3,340 Posts
Looking good!!! Are those from pre-made flats or did you make them out of stock?
 

·
Master Endmill Breaker
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
Tapco flats bent on the gtbehary wonder jig. They look good!

Looks like you're enjoying the spot welder, too.

Do you have any drawings yet for the die? I'm interested in how you keep the position for the top rail consistent. I mean do you just measure the amount of flat sticking out for the top rail? Or do you use removable index pins in the die?
 

·
Gunco Irregular
Joined
·
4,323 Posts
Nice Job!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
What are you looking to improve on? The pictures look darn good to me. I still want to bend some flats myself as I think it is the height of home building, even though you can now, with a lot of work, put all the details on a pre bent blank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
:rockon: Those are the best looking bends I have ever seen! Great job! Have you heat treated anything yet? Is it a good idea to spot weld the rails before or after heat treating them?

Mark


:troops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
gtbehary
Is this a jig you made? Is it different from the 555th jig? Could you post a picture of the jig?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rhino_66 said:
Tapco flats bent on the gtbehary wonder jig. They look good!

Looks like you're enjoying the spot welder, too.

Do you have any drawings yet for the die? I'm interested in how you keep the position for the top rail consistent. I mean do you just measure the amount of flat sticking out for the top rail? Or do you use removable index pins in the die?
At this time I am measuring .200" out from the die. It is a pain and I am seeing slight variations due to my poor eyesite. I am in the process of putting a removable stop (gauge), that I can use to accurately position the flat while tightening down the hold down block.
No drawings yet, but I can take some close up pics from the top. The important dimensions are the hold down screws which are 8.5" apart and centered on the 1.25" die. Once these drilled the rest can be figured out from the flat. Also the top hold down block has to be offset .040" towards the bending surface, so that you bend the metal and not shear it. All holes on the top block must be offset, including the holes drilled for the relief of the screw heads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fal_shooter said:
gtbehary
Is this a jig you made? Is it different from the 555th jig? Could you post a picture of the jig?
I built a stronger version of my prototype and will post the pics tomorrow. Just got it permanently welded tonight, though all the receivers were made while just tack welded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Great looking bends!!!! I guess the Sunny South FL where you are didn't get "Charlie" like we did here in Punta Gorda. What a mess. And the worst part is that it put my AK building on hold for a long time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to spot heat treat the pin holes and the extractor using MAPP gas. I just ordered some molyresin in semi-gloss black to finish the receivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
erikk said:
Great looking bends!!!! I guess the Sunny South FL where you are didn't get "Charlie" like we did here in Punta Gorda. What a mess. And the worst part is that it put my AK building on hold for a long time
No, West Palm Beach was untouched (thank goodness). I have a barn with horses surrounded by old oak treas, so storms always scare us big time. We were beat up during the storm (of the century) that followed Andrew. If you are ever in the PBC area, stop on by.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,900 Posts
George,
Those look terrific, nice work.

Hmmm, I wonder how many flats I could get in a carry on bag, leaving room for a change of underwear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
7.62x39 said:
George,
Those look terrific, nice work.

Hmmm, I wonder how many flats I could get in a carry on bag, leaving room for a change of underwear.
Come on down.
 

·
Gunco Samurai
Joined
·
3,340 Posts
I'll actually be in Florida next month :rockin: first get away in a while. I'm staying with friends in Ft. Myers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If your here before the Sept.15, stop on by (about 1.5 hours away). After that I am stuck down in Homestead for a month.
 

·
Gunco Samurai
Joined
·
3,340 Posts
gtbehary said:
If your here before the Sept.15, stop on by (about 1.5 hours away). After that I am stuck down in Homestead for a month.
Ah too bad I won't get down til about the 21st.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top