Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using the floor jack method of pressing in a barrel, does the rear trunnion have to be OUT of the receiver?

I was just imagining that the receiver may not be strong enough to support the pressures involved if the rear of the receiver (rather than the chamber of the barrel) is supported during pressing.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
davidgpo said:
Using the floor jack method of pressing in a barrel, does the rear trunnion have to be OUT of the receiver?

I was just imagining that the receiver may not be strong enough to support the pressures involved if the rear of the receiver (rather than the chamber of the barrel) is supported during pressing.
The Ideal method of of support is the rear of the front trunion, you are correct, the receiver will not support the pressure of barrel pressing.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I think I am about the only one that uses a floor jack. so this is what I do. first DO NOT press through the reciever never, never. their are two flats sticking out of the front trunion that are PLENTY big enough to support the pressure. this way you are pressing only barrel to trunion. As for the rear trunion- tang, this method allowes the rear to be in or not. no matter. I have posted photos of my or "the" method and detailed steps before. if you look around here you will be able to find them. If you do not find them I will be happy to give you exacting detail of every step so you will have great results. One thing I will tell you even here is you can not press it in all at once with this method you MUST release pressure to again and again to get the barrel in streight it is the only way. other wise the barrel will start to cock over and stop. however after it is started about half way then it is all set. Again I will be happy to explain in detail everything to you if you are intrested in trying this method. If you find and read my other post detailing my method and have ANY questions PM me and I will give you all the help I can. The hotbarrel :)

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I think what many will find is the barrels are not as hard to press in. It seems like some people have a terrible time while others practically slip them together. It didn't take all that much to get mine out with a hammer and I'm hoping to use the Hot/Cold approach on putting it back together.

I read the story of a guy who tapped his back in and another from an ex-Russian armorer who said they tapped them back together as SOP.

Then there was the guy that used a big furniture clamp and Hotbarrel uses a floor jack and his workbench.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Yeah here's my experience with an I-Bar clamp:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/pressing/pressing.htm

Note that some have reported that Hungarian AMD-65 kits are VERY tight, and so this method may not work as easily as it does for AK-74 kits. The heat & freeze method it probably best. You could still use my method if the heat & freeze method only gets you halfway there... at least it would be started.

The barrel pin is more difficult, but thanks to SangRun Hunter's photos we have an easy way to do that now! In fact I tested this the other day and put my results up here:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/construction/barrel_pin.htm

hth,
- Jerry

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Good one Pookie!

Much better than my half baked explanation. I had hoped when I have more time to document my barrel pin pressing. Glad to see someone taking my idea and making it more understandable. :rockin:

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Thank You, Hunter!
I'm building all that information together in a "how-to" reference.

Someone said in a post on the other board that their AMD-65 was TIGHT and they severely taxed their 12-ton press to get the AMD-65 pin to move.

My experience so far has been only with AK-74 Bulgarian kits and those were EASY... The pin in mine went with moderate effort. ONce it popped loose it moved steadily. I felt I was not fighting it.

What kit/rifle model did you do yours to, and how hard was it?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
AMD-63 and it was fairly easy. It popped and from there it was easy, but the first peice of drill bit I used to push the pin out crushed easy?

I switched to the bit for a srew driver drill and that worked great.

Getting the barrel out wasn't too bad either with the hammer and socket.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
the jack has no numbers on it I can find :sorry: .
I have had very mixed results as to how much pressure it takes. Some have gone in fairly easy, others have required to be tightened up with the jack then a tap against a brass rod. NEVER NEVER have I realy put a LOT of pressure with the jack. Let me put it this way all I use to pump it with is a screw driver NOT the jack handel. I get a lot more FEEL with a short handel and do NOT NEED all the leverage. As for how many ton to actualy press it in it seems to me it can not be much or the plate would rip off the wood work bench. I think you hear, you need the stronger press for the rivets..

P.S. I have never used any heat or cold but it can not hurt. Allways use an assambly lube Allways allways

·
1,763 Posts
Sang & Jerry, excellent post on that pin. I like that much better than my hap-hazard, better be wearing safety glasses method I was using.

I'm just "nuts" over this...........

sorry couldn't resist :headspin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts