Gunco Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all. New to the board.

Just bought a new mil-spec Springfield 1911 A1, and I like it, but I seem to be having some issues with casings getting stuck on their way out. Anyone else have this problem or seen it?

I haven't fired many rounds through it, maybe 300 or so, but it keeps happening. I've been told that maybe Chip McCormick mags could help, but I can't imagine Springfield would ship their guns with defective mags.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Honestly, mags can make a huge difference. I tend to use Wilson mags as I've never had a problem with those. I believe the cheapest way to find out is to start with your mags. The thing is, when I had problems with mags, it usually had to do with feeding and not extraction.

If that doesn't work, you can check your extractor tension and adjust that if needed. When a new mag didn't work with one of my builds, it turned out to be the extractor - it wasn't holding tight enough and letting go prior to proper extraction. If done carefully, you can adjust the tension yourself using your slide.

I'm sure there's others here who will give some really good recommendations on magazines, but keep us posted.

Co7t

roundtree said:
Hey, all. New to the board.

Just bought a new mil-spec Springfield 1911 A1, and I like it, but I seem to be having some issues with casings getting stuck on their way out. Anyone else have this problem or seen it?

I haven't fired many rounds through it, maybe 300 or so, but it keeps happening. I've been told that maybe Chip McCormick mags could help, but I can't imagine Springfield would ship their guns with defective mags.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not a lick of problem with my Mil-Spec with over a thousand rounds thru it. I use Chip McCormick 8 round stainless Shooting Star mags with mine. Try different mags and if the problem is still there, its probably an extractor problem.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
My son just bought one a few weeks ago and had this problem the first day on the range.

Takes a couple hundred rounds to loosen up and we have been consistently told by others to use the Wilson and/or McCormick mags.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You must fire 500 rounds before you can trust it. Then it will be 100%. You have to brake them in. :sorry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has your son had this problem w/ all types of ammo or just cheap loads?

Custer said:
My son just bought one a few weeks ago and had this problem the first day on the range.

Takes a couple hundred rounds to loosen up and we have been consistently told by others to use the Wilson and/or McCormick mags.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
roundtree said:
Has your son had this problem w/ all types of ammo or just cheap loads?

He was used Blazer, Remington UMC and Winchester I believe.

Seems fine now.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Hey guys is the Springfield made in Brazil? I thought I read some where that is was, although I find it interesting that the oldest armory in the country would do that. Jack :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I'm not mistaken, mine says Made in Brazil on it.

scubadvr said:
Hey guys is the Springfield made in Brazil? I thought I read some where that is was, although I find it interesting that the oldest armory in the country would do that. Jack :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: the mag issue, I've got an Essex Frame/GI Colt NM Slide combo. I use MilSpec Mag's (CAGE Code and Part # on floorplate). Works fine once it broke in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've also heard, and tend to believe, that US gun manufacturers are looking overseas in case the price of these frivolous lawsuits drives them to other countries. I know that happened to motorcycle helmet manufacturers, of which there are none left in the US.

roundtree said:
If I'm not mistaken, mine says Made in Brazil on it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
scubadvr said:
It is made in Brazil.

SA may be an old name, but they are actually a fairly new company with a grand old name.

I don't know how making the gun overseas protects them from a lawsuit.
If they are doing business here, the court will have jurisdiction.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All of SA's frames and slides are forged in brazil by Imbel. So the answer is yes but Imbel is no slouch in the steel forging business. SA's upper end guns are machined, assembled and fit here in the US, but the lower end(under$1k)are totally made in brazil :confused: . It is kinda disturbing to shell out $4-800 on an american company's gun that is made in a foriegn country, but that's how it is with SA.

On a side note, Kimber which is SA's biggest competitor, makes all their guns here in US. Oregon to be exact. Only problem with them is that they make no Mil-spec type pistol and their cheapest gun is plastic. Also they no longer make true series-70 type 1911s('cept for a limited run Heritage edition).

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against foreign, otherwize how do I explain my AKs. I just have a problem with a company that is selling high end, commerative ie. Sgt York, and armed citizen models rah rah U.S.A. and then find out they are made in a different country. On the mag issue, I have an Auto Ordnance 1911 military spec. (I think great gun for the money)and it had problems feeding. I used Wilson Combat mags, and could not be happier, no problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As far as mags go, I've been won over to metalform with the round follower. Since I've been using them I can't say I've had a mag related problem. No slam on the wilsons, I've got a couple of them too, but the metalforms are cheaper to boot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts