Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved Romanian .22 trainer has been acting up. Anyone got any ideas?

It's always operated flawlessly, with the exception of an inherent design flaw that means that you've got to tip the weapon to the right to get an empty case to eject.

But I've been having problems lately with failure to feed. I'd thought it was a rough chamber, cleaned the heck out of it with a brass brush and the problem went away for a short while. Now the rounds jam into the top of the chamber opening as you try to press the bolt forward, making an indentation in the top of the bullet about halfway towards the cartridge case.

Any ideas?

Personally, I think a cottontail broke into my house and sabotaged the weapon.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Ya might need to polish the chamber for sticking.

Ya might have to fidle with the mag lips on the other.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
How's the magazine?

I bought two of them about a year ago or so. One for each of my sons. They are grown up, but they are still my little boys. :D

One of them worked flawlessly. The other one had a problem with feeding the bullet. I bought mine from SOG and called them, and they sent me a new magazine. It worked OK after that. Then later, I played around with the ears on the front of the magazine and got it to work pretty good too.

I've never seen a magazine fed .22 yet that you didn't have to fiddle with every now and then. It sounds like the ears of the magazine allows the bullet to point upward too much, and the bullet strikes the top of the entrance to the chamber. Ya might try bending the ears down just slightly.

Also, if ya haven't already done so, clean the magazine and lube it real good.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's likely the mag after reading this and the responses in GD. I'll give it a try. I have a bad history when it comes to trying to fix mag feed lips, though - I've always screwed it up for some reason. But I've got a $14 fix now if I do that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mike said:
Dzerzhinsky were could i see a picture of a 22 romy trainer thanks rick
http://www.courter.org/guns/rifles/rom22.html

They're really nifty little rifles. I paid only $60 for mine. They're astonishingly accurate - the barrel is free-floated from an inch forward of the receiver. I picked mine up at a sporting goods chain, Big 5. They have a folding-leaf rear express sight, a kind of sight generally only seen on very expensive rifles. Unfortunately, they also have a round-post front sight like on an AK or an SKS, a kind of sight I consider to be lousy.*

And...

It followed the advice in this thread to smush the feed lips on the mag together a bit so the tip of the cartridge rides a bit lower in the mag, and that appears to have worked. Thanks all!

*I can't use open sights well with my middle-aged eyes, so I replaced the rear sight with a WGRS receiver sight for a .22 grooved receiver, the cheapest receiver sight Williams Gunsight Co. makes. The grooves on the Romy are a bit narrower than the 3/8" American standard, so I had to JB Weld it into place. I removed the hood off of the front sight by filing off the rivets that hold it in place, and then using a file sold for the purpose by Brownell's I cut a 3/8" dovetail into the front sight ramp so I could install a standard American-style flat-faced front sight. I filled in the rather large dovetail left from removing the existing express sight with a blank filed from a bit of scrap iron, then cold blued it. I highly recommend this setup: A receiver sight and a flat-faced front sight are arguably the most accurate iron sight setup possible. The result is a very light, handy, quick, and surprisingly accurate rifle. Alas, no ability to post pics.

Oh, and it comes with toy-like 7/8" sling swivels, that are very easily replaced with standard 1-inch American sling swivels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts