Gunco Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all somebody in work today after looking at the Bayonet on the Wasr-10.
What was the purpose of the slot in the metal blade?

Well I said so the blood could run out better,kind of got some strange looks after that:sick: .

So what is the purpose of it?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You are correct the blood slot prevents suction when ya pull it out.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Depends on which slot you're talking about.

If you're talking about the depression that runs the length of the blade, yep, that's a blood groove.

If you're talking about the small slot cut through the base of the blade of some AK bayonets, that's to fit on a lug on the scabbard that makes the knife and scabbard work together as a wire-cutter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is the Blood groove.
It's purpose is to lubricate the blade with blood.
It makes it easier to pull the blade out of the body.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I believe the correct term is blood gutter.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I have had some people I would call experts tell me that blood grooves are much like an urban myth and knife makers use them because people expect them as opposed to being useful.

I wish I knew the real answer.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The groove serves three purposes:
1. Easier to remove after use because it prevents a vaccum from forming (Cavitation). The groove is there for the same reason ships have a round bump on the bow. If you did not have the "bump" on the bow the vaccum (Cavitation) would pull the plates off just behind the bow. The correct method for removal of a blade Bayonet is Stick, Twist, Pull. If you hit bone then fire to remove.
2. Weight reduction
3. It makes the blade stronger and reduces the possibility of blade bend. (see 1.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The "fuller" is groove placed to allow increased rigidity with reduced weight and material. Please note that weight and material reduction is minimal on a bayonet, so the primary purpose is rigidity - think of an "I - beam".

·
Registered
211 Posts
fal_shooter said:
The correct method for removal of a blade Bayonet is Stick, Twist, Pull. If you hit bone then fire to remove.
Hehe, if I still got ammo, odds are good I'm not going to be inclined to stab/bayonet anyone. Not making light of your post, just putting my stink on the thread.
:drunk:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Jose`-K47 said:
Hehe, if I still got ammo, odds are good I'm not going to be inclined to stab/bayonet anyone. Not making light of your post, just putting my stink on the thread.
:drunk:
Thats what they told us in training. You have times in a close combat situation when you do not want to fire unless you know you will hit a backstop and not a fellow trooper. If your blade is stuck in a backstop you cannot miss and hit one of your own. When you are all mixed together with the enemy you want to keep shooting to a minimum. When you are in it that thick the caveman approach is better. I use to sharpen the sides of my E-Tool for such occasions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts