Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I chopped up 3 mags, and went to work tonight. This thing is totally experimental, and more of the purpose of figuring out how to make a good one. Anyway here is the end result of tonights work. I will work up a more detailed description of what I have done so far and post it later. Right now I am ready for dinner and my head hurts.

Please don't PM me about this and what I am doing, I will share info with everyone.

I have more pics of the work in my gallery.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vulcan762 said:
Cool. the internals of the original are pretty complicated. I will interested to see if you duplicated them or found a new way to skin the cat.
At this moment I think I am gonna go with Pookies idea and use dummy rounds to push the rest of the live rounds up. So far the hardest part has been the fabrication of the tower and the slope. The internals I have no doubt that they will work. I may not be able to feed as many rounds as I would like, but am sure it will do.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Werd ! I like it ! Keep it updated ! I can't wait to see how this project goes. You've been pondering and pining over this for quite some time. I hope it works !
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Lookin' good Magnus. I am working on a quad stack also. I have used 2 20 round mags and will use 1 5 round Chinese mag on top. I have been experimenting with spacers to push all of the live rounds up. I started at the bottom and am working my way up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
if you get those things to work let us know......somehwere on the net, I saw a diagram on how the 60 rounds internal is set up, and it is a complicated set up

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
interesting, and it is good to see pics of the progress being made.

Another interesting idea is if a company like promag would make a US version of a quad stack mag. I'm sure they could sell a lot of them if they made them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
sniper69 said:
interesting, and it is good to see pics of the progress being made.

Another interesting idea is if a company like promag would make a US version of a quad stack mag. I'm sure they could sell a lot of them if they made them.
But would they even work if they did?

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
bloodsport2885 said:
But would they even work if they did?
If ProMag would make it, I'm sure it would work. I got mags from them for 4 different firearms and they are very close or are like factory mags. They seem to be a company that takes pride in their product.

OK who's a good salesman on here, we need someone to try and talk ProMag into making these things.:brows: :)

·
Nanook of the North
1,010 Posts
How did you determine the proper slope for the merging zone where both mags feed into one? Might the bullets cases jam there?

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scorpion8 said:
How did you determine the proper slope for the merging zone where both mags feed into one? Might the bullets cases jam there?
Work in progress. I am thinking that I might need a follower with the hump on the otherside but I dont' know the ramifcations of that yet. we will see. Mine is temped together so I can work the bugs out.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RTO68-69 said:
Lookin' good Magnus. I am working on a quad stack also. I have used 2 20 round mags and will use 1 5 round Chinese mag on top. I have been experimenting with spacers to push all of the live rounds up. I started at the bottom and am working my way up.
You couldn't whip me up one of those floor plates that would fit 74 mags could ya? I am going to try to get my two welded together, but I can't weld, lol.

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
Magnus hit the local exhaust shop for the welds. Just clean up the areas to be welded and ask them to put a couple short beads on those spots. Should only be a few bucks.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coils said:
Magnus hit the local exhaust shop for the welds. Just clean up the areas to be welded and ask them to put a couple short beads on those spots. Should only be a few bucks.
Hitting a local shop isn't the problem, hitting the local shop when it is open is the hanger, lol. Maybe my step-dad can do it...? I will have to ask:D Night fellas!

Yeah Sherman if you find that diagram hook us up. Maybe we can draw from it.

RTO, I see you opened up the feed lips, now when you do this there is nothing stoping the followers from running up into the feed tower. I am going to fabricate a divider that runs up into the feed tower and put taps on it to keep the followers in place. That way they don't get tangled up and exert extra pressure on the slant leading to the tower.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
[RTO, I see you opened up the feed lips, now when you do this there is nothing stoping the followers from running up into the feed tower. I am going to fabricate a divider that runs up into the feed tower and put taps on it to keep the followers in place. That way they don't get tangled up and exert extra pressure on the slant leading to the tower.]

Magnus, the followers are staying in place okay, I didn't remove the stops. In the photo the mags are loaded with the springs and seem to function fine. I am working on a solid spacer (tapered) for each side to feed the rounds into the tower. I know, it probably won't work. I'll PM you about the floor plate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For those of you working on quad-stacks, make sure you use a very shallow taper where the two stacks merge. The taper has to be less than 30 degrees from vertical or the rounds will jam against each other. At 30 degrees the top rounds will attempt to push right against each other, and at more than 30 degrees the rounds will lock each other in place. It would probably be best to avoid angles much steeper than 15 degrees from vertical when building the section that merges the columns of ammo together.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Don't remember where these were on the net.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Damn, wish I was there to help ya, Charles. These projects always turn out great !
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts