Gunco Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally removed the rivets from the front trunion after snapping a tapp off in the front hole. I've got a slight problem that I need help with.
As I was tapping two of the holes the tapp backed out against the threads on the trunion and know the hole is slightly bigger than the 10/32" tap/screw. The next size up is the 1/4" I don't mind going that big, but I just don't want the heads of the screw to be so gawdy. Does someone make a screw for the 1/4" shaft but with a much smaller head? I'm going to be filling the heads with "JB" sand and paint to resemble a rivet, I just don't want the heads to be to big.
Is there some form of method that I could maybe use to round the heads down without trying to find a lathe.
Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks guys,
-Shadow-

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You can use a heli-coil. I had to use one on mine. The only thing about those.....you have to buy a set. They were like $40.00. But you will have plenty extras. It comes with the over-sized tap and 10 coils. Buy the package for the 10-32 screws. This way you can use the existing screw, and everything will still match.

Let me know if you need further help.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
shadow29483 said:
Thanks alot "Bad" I've heard about those some where so I'll check on it.
Thanks again,
Shadow
I picked them up at Car Quest Auto Parts. You can also find them at NAPA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts