Gunco Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that FAC has mauser m1891 receivers (small ring). Will parts from a mauser 98 fit these or are they different parts altogether. The receiver is $49.95 and if the 98 parts would fit seems like a good deal - but then I could be wrong. I just figured with all of the different things done to the 98's that this may be an economical alternative. What do you all think??

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Mike,

The 98 is a large ring, the parts are not interchangeable.

I recently picked up a couple of Chec VZ-24's pretty cheap (IIRC $79ea) for sporter projects.
The VZ-24 is considered one of the strongest of the 98 models.

FAC has combo kits consisting of a Boyd varminter stock with your choice of a .308 or 30-06 sporter barrel, I don't remember exactly what I paid for the combo kits, but I think it was around $170ea.

These barrels are short chambered, so you don't need a lathe to headspace.
You will need a barrel vise and a action wrench to remove the old barrel, and a chamber ream to set headspace. I bought all of these from Midway.

I did a fair amount of research on these before I started them, so if you have any more questions, I may be able to help you.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for letting me know. Guess it was a good thing i asked before buying the 1891 recevier then. Maybe I should look and see what is available in a 98 style and then I'll probably have more questions. :)

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
96 and 03 actions Swede and Turk are good ones to do projects too. They use the small barrel, but use the thicker reciever ring.

This guy did a Turk with Swede barrel 6.5X55, but you can get small ring barrels in different calibers too.

http://www.gswagner.com/

I've posted this page before because this guy is a guru of garage gunsmithing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.