Gunco Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Cali, Just got a saiga 7.62x39. Im looking into the conversion process and was looking on some websites. Moving the triger in towards the mag seems like a lot of extra work to attach a pistol grip when you can just buy a stock with a pistol grip attached? Am i missing the big picture, Im pretty sure the only real big difference will be rifle length? I mean you can still do a trigger job and what not.

Wes

·
Registered
456 Posts
I live in Cali, Just got a saiga 7.62x39. Im looking into the conversion process and was looking on some websites. Moving the triger in towards the mag seems like a lot of extra work to attach a pistol grip when you can just buy a stock with a pistol grip attached? Am i missing the big picture, Im pretty sure the only real big difference will be rifle length? I mean you can still do a trigger job and what not.

Wes

You can never make that POS trigger work like a converted one. It's like the difference between old transmission shifter linkage and a modern top loader.(if you know anything about cars, you will understand this)
Think of it like this: you can pull a lever, that moves a rod, that pulls a cable, that moves a bar, and pushes a bucket over. or you can just push over the bucket. Which would be more positive and crisp?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense, Thanks for the response. Im reading up on the conversion proccess, A little worried I will screw up a new rifle..

Wes

·
Registered
456 Posts
Makes sense, Thanks for the response. Im reading up on the conversion proccess, A little worried I will screw up a new rifle..

Wes

Just take your time and get a couple of really good drill bits(cobalt). To be sheet metal, that's some hard steel! After the first one, it just gets easier and will really make you want another one.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Just take your time and get a couple of really good drill bits(cobalt). To be sheet metal, that's some hard steel! After the first one, it just gets easier and will really make you want another one.
Again, I must protest the use of the drill in a conversion.

The only time a drill is needed is when you drill the hole for the bullet guide (which the Californian may won't be wanting to do)

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
The conversions aren't hard to do, usually the hardest part is putting in the hole for the pistol grip nut but there are a couple companies making trigger guards with the mount built in.

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
That issue doesn't exist for the Saiga rifles (we are in the Saiga rifles subforum).
I only own one Saiga rifle and have heard some don't have the hole, don't know if it's true or not, yes I could have worded it different by adding "some might not have the pistol grip hole". (I'm not blind)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Again, I must protest the use of the drill in a conversion.

The only time a drill is needed is when you drill the hole for the bullet guide (which the Californian may won't be wanting to do)

Maybe I should have read up more on your posts. I needed to drill a front hole for my triggerguard and it was neater to drill out the spot welds than to grind them off. If you have an easier and faster way, pls post a link so I quit overworking.
Thanks!

·
Banned
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Thank you! Still didn't see how you made the hole for the front of the triggerguard, oh well. I'll try chiseling the next one, but I'm not sure it will be easier than just drilling spot welds. I'm always open to suggestion though!
I don't make a hole.

I just stick the front of the trigger guard under the mag catch tower and screw the rear part in under the pistol grip (in the existing hole).

I don't convert many Saiga 12s, for some strange reason, and so've not had to drill anything.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't make a hole.

I just stick the front of the trigger guard under the mag catch tower and screw the rear part in under the pistol grip (in the existing hole).

I don't convert many Saiga 12s, for some strange reason, and so've not had to drill anything.

It's always good to know more than one way to do things. I don't do many 12's either. .223's and .308's, but not 12's. I have done a .308 that way (without drilling a front hole and using the PG screw to hold the back). :thumbup1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts