Gunco Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Looking good, I'm still working on the receiver shell weldup on mine. One small correction though, when you remove the feed lip in the semi conversion of the bolt, the extractor no longer snaps over the cartridge when feeding. With the open bolt, the feed lip pushes the cartridge into the chamber. Once in, the bolt continues on, snapping the extractor over the cartridge and firing the round. This is called push feed and is common in rifles but rare in pistols, only 2 that come to mind are the AMT Automag and the Desert Eagle, both of which have bolts similar to an AR15.

On the semi converted closed bolt without the feed lip, the bolt now becomes a controlled feed system like most pistols. When the boltface impacts the rear of the cartridge in the magazine and shoves it forward, the now flat surface of the bolt allows the rear of the cartridge to slide upward, eventually sliding under the extractor. This would not work with an extended fixed firing pin like on the open bolt, the top of the cartridge case would hit the underside of the pin and jam the gun. Which is why the open bolt uses the feed lip to shove the cartridge ahead of the bolt. And why it's removed on a semi, to make conversion to FA harder and to jam up should the firing pin of the semi be forward when the bolt closes.

BTW, you may have noticed old Uziel kinda stole the extractor design from John Browning's 1911. The modified lower corner is also present on the 1911, allows for easier entry of the round sliding up the boltface. Tons of extractor tuning tutorials for the 1911 on the web, 99% of which directly apply to the UZI extractor as well, should you experience issues.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
That's why mine is a handgun until/if I decide to SBR it. Got one of the older kits with the OEM subgun bbl included. That's the beauty of "rolling your own", all my rifle builds start out as handguns when possible, the stock is left off until after initial test fire. Remove the stock and put a short bbl on it reverts to a handgun, not an SBR like a factory rifle would. For some weird reason only AFT understands, they ruled back in the day that since the IMI semi UZI rifle was shorter than 26" OAL with the wood stock removed, the QD feature on it couldn't be used. Had to be bolted on, apparently spending an extra few minutes with a screwdriver to remove it versus popping a latch made a difference, especially since the factory folder was the same length folded as the wood was with it removed... In any event, as a pistol converted to a rifle the QD stock can be used.

Grabbed one of the last of the cheap kits a year or so ago, along with a Mini Uzi repair channel. Many many Yahrons ago Centerfire (IIRC) was selling Mini semi bolts and bbls for like $20-30 each. I grabbed a couple bolts and one bbl, knowing what they go for now I shoulda got a second mortgage and bought them out! Anyways, between the kit parts and the actual Mini parts I should be able to piece together a somewhat accurate replica. Hard part is gonna be the folding stock, haven't seen any new replicas in years and originals are even worse than MP5 A3 stocks on pricing. May try to make my own. Long term project though, got too much to catch up on without starting new projects!

Always wanted a Mini since I saw Chuck Norris use his in Delta Force to take out half of the Terrorists in the Middle East! Now all I need is to find some surplus handlebar rockets along with an old Suzuki dirt bike...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts