Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am happily making my rails yesterday, when I looked at them again I may have screwed up :(

What I need to know, whether or not the lower bends, which help center the magazine, are necessary or "nice to have"? I plan to dimple my Ace receivers.

I used the black rails from K-Var as a guide, with hunterwarrior's template for the measurements:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/construction/rails/DSCN3726.JPG

I looked at my Chinese rifles and the lower bends are practically not there - they bend inward about one thickness of the material, so I suppose I could even "shim" material to duplicate this if needed.

Do I need to start over? I thought about coaxing my welder friend into welding a bead on the bottom which I could dremel into shape for the lower bends but as easy as these are to make I will probably just start over.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I left out the lower bends on mine and it fires just fine, but the mag is slightly loose (I don't have it dimpled yet either). If I recall correctly, there are rails on the market that leave out the lower bends completely. Can't remember who sells them though.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like I'll be fine, since an aftermarket rail is missing them too. Of course I can always install a shim later on if needed. I'd like to see pics of those commercial rails...

That's what I needed to know - thanks for those replies!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was thinking about attaching an L-shaped piece of the 4130 square tubing to the rail as a shim, kind of like an original rail except the lower bend is a seperate piece attached to the rail. I'm not sure how this would work if you wanted to spot-weld the rail to the receiver, but I sure as hell can drill and tap holes to work with my screwed rails. I hope I'm making sense here. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I think the rail lips and dimples are redundant, but I think one or the other is necessary.

Since you are going to dimple it, I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just looked at my Arsenal receiver and the lower rails extend just slightly beyond the dimples. I would say that if you dimple your receiver deep enough then don't worry about the lower rails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts