Gunco Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I understand about riveting the short rivets. But how do you shape the round head when using the long rear trunion/cross pin rivets. I hope to be getting 'plinker762's' rivet jig and need to know if I need anything else to shape the flat portion of the rivet to look like a roundhead.

I remember reading a post about someone using a hammer to form the round type rivet head. I'm just looking for something more uniform to do the job. As for me using a hammer (especially on a near completed receiver), well.......

I sure hope someone has an answer to this.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
well I have a suggestion. keep in mind I have never done this but it should work. First do the majority of the peening with a hammer. you realy can do pretty good if you practise some. Well here is what I would try. Buy a good quality round tip punch. Then use a dremmil or die grinder with a stone and cone out the tip. clearly the tip of the punch will have to be a bit larger than the diameter of a finished rivet head. I realy think if you get the rivet head about 80% down and finish with the custom punch it should work.
A few notes do not heat the tip when grinding GO SLOW and keep dipping in water, next buy a GOOD qualiyt punch no H.D. crap.
Give it a try and let us all know how it works if you do try it :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts