Gunco Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many, many posts about folks having problems when it comes to removing the rear trunnion rivets, I thought that I would put together a little information on how I do it. Please understand that this isn't the only way to remove the rivets but I have never had a problem when doing it this way. This information won't help if you have broken a drill while trying to remove the rear trunnion rivets but it will prevent you braking a drill in the first place. Read and go get'em.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
TK, you always seem to create some of the finest tutorials. Not to mention, these things are normally looked over after conquered the first time and all other new builders have to learn the hard way like everyone else. I hope this was submitted to the library. Great Job!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I do not know what happened but I clicked "open" and a moment later I got an illegal opperation error and my system shut down. hoy yoy

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully in the future I will be posting these tutorials in .pdf format. I just need to get the software that converts MS Word Doc to pdf.

I have other tutorials about barrel/centerpin/front trunnion rivet removal as well as installing rear trunnion rivets in solid and forked rear trunnions. Again the conversion software is what I need.

·
Registered
75 Posts

TK.

I have that program, I converted your tutorial and its attached to this post.

If you have others you liked converted, pass them along and I'll do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts

I have a full version of Acrobat that has the distiller as part of the app.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Thanks buddy !! Excellent document, and I second what yosuthnmasa says about your tutorials. I haved saved many of your post in my how to build folder.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crffl said:

I have a full version of Acrobat that has the distiller as part of the app.

That's what I hope to be getting. Also thanks for the conversion.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
gaucho1 said:
Great Post
I think some of us are doing this without a drill-press.
I have always had good luck with a cordless drill. Just make sure you use a small drill bit for a pilot hole first. I always go in about half way and then flip it over and do the same thing. Once you get that, go with a larger bit and as your drilling, the excess will come out with the bit.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
packratt said:
What is the software you are using for the PDF conversion?

thanks
packratt
I use open office for converting files to pdf. There is an option for export as a pdf (under the file header) and it works great. Best of all it is a free office suite to download. Only problem I potentially see is if someone was trying to download it over a 56k connection, the install file is 45 MB.

The site is http://www.openoffice.org/

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wish I would have read this because well I drilled through and now on one hole each of the two rears I just did have came out crooked half way through.

Can I put some steal in it before I rivet it back up to make up for the crooked sides?
or does it realy matter since it is only on one side on one hole?

Also I broke a bit off in one and turned it over and broke another in the other side of one rear hole. So one hole hade two bits in it and about 1/4 of the rivets drilled almost to trunnion on both sides. I clamped it hard and got a piece of metal a little thinner than than trunnion hole and hammered the hell out of it untill the rivet with bits finaly popped out.

Are these rears garbage now or are they fine? the crooked holes are only crooked half way through and the other holes are perfect. Plus the crookedness is from bits less than half the size of the trunnion hole. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks to all you who have made tutorials for us newbs. Too bad Im a slang term for a donkey and didn't read this first. To all the others like me I suggest searching out as many tutorials as you can and read them all multiple times because my thumbs and pride got hurt real bad two nights in a row!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whew...sounds like you have one heck of a time with that rear trunnion. IMO, since the rear trunnion takes up all the bolt carrier recoil, I would want it to be as close to perect as possible. Those rear rivets will only swell up so much inside the hole. I would replace it, but I'm sure that there are people at this site that might be able to provide more info on how you "might" fix it. One possibility would be to have the damaged hole/s welded up then re-drilled.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am thinking that next time I am only going to drill half way then flip it and do the other half so that I am only drilling as far as I can see in.

Maybe should I use a softer bit? I didn't remeber feeling any difference as it hit the trunnion and it seems like the bit bent cause the hole is only crooked the half way out.

Can anyone tell me how to weld the hole closed? I will most likely have someone else weld it unless its an easy thing to do. Maybe welding holes can be done my stupid ars.

I can't wait for my next mistake and I know I wont forget making this one twice in a row. Feel free to call me things like jackass and such. Thanks for any and all advice.
hmmm... I wonder what I should mess up today?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We don't call people names for making mistakes. All of us have screwed up something sometime. You just learn form your mistakes.

If you have a drill press I wouldn't do the half and half thing. Just follow the tutorial on this subject making sure that the X-Y axis is level and the bit is centered on the rivet. You don't need a fancy drill bit, HSS will do the trick. Lubricate, drill, clean, lubricate, drill, clean...you get the idea.

Don't try the power drilling thing and just ram the drill in at high speed with tons of force and expect to get good results. Low rpm (450-550), and just enought force to start cutting.

The most important thing is to have a "SHARP" drill bit. I have done quite a few of these trunnions and never had a problem. Just follow the tutorial and you'll be okay.

As for welding, I hope someone else will chime in. I only weld in extreme cases.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Turns out my neighbor has welding stuff so I will just have him do it or show me what to do. I'm going to figure out how to change the speed and make sure I use sharp bits. Filling in the holes sounds easy but I still feel bad for injuring the poor thing.
Thanks for listening and I promise I will never abuse a poor defenseless AK ever again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts