Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On ORF's 'AK Parts' page, they have a piece called a "Receiver Reinforcement
Plate", for $11.99, that is advertised as being for underfolders & sidefolders.

Newb question here: What is it's purpose?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
They were used on Russian Side and underfolders. This is from Tantal's Projects page 9: "This plate is used on the AKMS as well as all AK-74 folding stock variants (except AKSU) and is actually spot welded to the receiver. It helps to make the receiver more rigid and keeps it from beign damaged if the rifle is dropped on the grip when the rifle stock is folded."
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pro9.html

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe it is a "grip plate", on underfolder's there's a thin piece of steel that goes between the pistol grip and extends up to the single rivet on the trigger gurard.

·
Registered
273 Posts
yes it is a grip plate i myself purchased one when ordering my last kit from todd at orf its quite sturdy i have yet to put said kit together as xmas has cramped my project money will advise on its use when i get it done

·
Registered
119 Posts
These plates were on the stub of my receiver from the underfolder kits from ORF.

·
1,763 Posts
This plate was designed to be used on the receivers that are 1mm. Of course being a military firearm these were subject to massive abuse by untrained 'soldiers'.
I am sure that your gun, my gun or anyone's gun on this board will never suffer being dropped on repeated occasions and would need this, especially on the 1.2 and 1.6mm receivers. Although, I would put one on my gun if I get a 1mm receiver that I was building as a folder, just because I want the 'authentic' look. But it's sole function would be cosmetics.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
They were also installed on most late model akm folders.
I have seen them on POLISH, Romainian, and Russian AKM stubs

Attached is a picture of the one that I installed on my Krink receiver

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Nice pic,(worth a 1,000 words) thanks DrugRunR!!! And Steelcore1964 thanks for the blueprint!! :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
you can buy the plates for like $12 or so.
I am gonna get a estimate on getting a couple dozen stamped out for personal use.

CHARLES

·
Registered
582 Posts
scubadvr said:
Charles, keep us in the loop and maybe sell some to your friends. Jack
What he said!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts