Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two kits (Bulgy AK74, AMD63) that are getting the itch to be put together. I have read several threads here and at other forums. I remember one forum matching up some competitors receivers and giving you the rundown, but I can't find it. I really don't want to mess this up. Some of you have said that the Vulcan brand is junk because of the soft ejectors and mismatched front trunnion holes. And still others complain that the OOW receiver has the safety hole in the wrong spot? The ACE is %80. What IS completed on it. I am leaning towards the OOW brand right now but would like to know how they have worked on kits similar to the two I have hidden from my wife (I think). Basically, what will give a first time builder the least trouble. I am set up for screw builds if that helps and my drill press wants me to come and pick it up from Home Depot. Thanks for any info you guys can give. :)

·
1,763 Posts
I have built both rifles on OOW's. The safety (selector lever) hole is of no real consideration. (really only the 7.62 version)
I gave my rifle to my brother in law to shoot and he never even noticed it. He also owns some AK's.

One thing I have noticed is that all the OOW's (7.62) don't have the same amount of gap. This picture is actually of my Polish, and my 63 does not have as much.

I haven't used the Vulcans because of the potential problem with the ejector, because of the vendor and previous problems I have had. Some have had great success.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have had OK luck with vulcans. the price is also a consiteration and vulcan is pretty cheap. as for missaligned front holes. that is both front and rear problem, but it is easily fixed by egging them out when needed. I have never had any out all that far personaly. now for the ejector, it is easy to harden yourself. it will lot dissapear without any warning, if you see ware stop useing it and harden it yourself.
if you are dooing a build then some fitting is all part of the fun, if price is not a big deal then maby a more expensive brand is for you.
Choises, choises it is all what you want to do and what you want to spend.
hope this helped a bit

·
Registered
30 Posts
I still dont understand why OOW dosent fix the design of their receivers. I'v been hearing about the safety selector hole for as long as I can remember, and they still seem to keep turning them out. Is there a better explanation for why they dont fix them?
thanks

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
febisfebi said:
I still dont understand why OOW dosent fix the design of their receivers. I'v been hearing about the safety selector hole for as long as I can remember, and they still seem to keep turning them out. Is there a better explanation for why they dont fix them?
thanks

Mybe they had a bizillion blanks cut out with the selector hole in the wrong place. Too much money invested to fix it, yet? :confused:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The holes are probably done in the stamping process.. If that is the case, the dies would be very expensive to replace, to fix such a minor problem...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kevin_m4 said:
I have built both rifles on OOW's. The safety (selector lever) hole is of no real consideration. (really only the 7.62 version)
I gave my rifle to my brother in law to shoot and he never even noticed it. He also owns some AK's.

One thing I have noticed is that all the OOW's (7.62) don't have the same amount of gap. This picture is actually of my Polish, and my 63 does not have as much.

I haven't used the Vulcans because of the potential problem with the ejector, because of the vendor and previous problems I have had. Some have had great success.
Thanks for the info. It seems that the OOW has the lead. Since my builds will be comparable to Kevin's it would seem that the "safe" way to build is with the OOW. Too bad other (see Numerous) companies aren't jumping on the wagon and building AK receivers with quality built in. With all the AR Companies out there it would only make sense for a few of them to diversify into the AK market. Oh well, wishfull thinking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same kits as kpd007 and a vulcan receiver. With the 74 parts I temporarily attached the trigger guard with nuts and bolts and clamped the receiver to the front triunion. I inserted the mag and it would only lock into place with alot of force. Taking the mag out was nearly impossible. I moved the receiver farther back about 1/8 and it fit tight but functional. Of course that left a gap between the hand guard and receiver. Also when sliding the bolt carrier into the receiver it would hit the bottom of the ejector. The 47 carrier did not do this.(without bolt) Hope this helps a bit.
As soon as I get some 47 mags I will do the same thing.
My conclusion is I will purchase a OOW for the 74.
For those who have used a 74 OOW, how much material did you remove from the front of the receiver and what tool did you use?
:dunno:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Angrydad said:
For those who have used a 74 OOW, how much material did you remove from the front of the receiver and what tool did you use?
:dunno:
Mine needed soo very little remove I just left it, and you really can't notice..

You can use a hand file to remove the excess...

I am going to ad a scope side plate soon to my 74, then refinish.. When I do this I will file the front of the receiver flush with the trunnion...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts