spot welding function other then
drilling a hole in the reciever
and welding it that way.
I could use a little help PLEASE

dixieboy

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Dixieboy.Bolting the rail looks like heck. Drill it weld it and grind it. if you sand it with some 220 grit afterwards you won't even see where you welded it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just did some rails like this earlier this evening. Drilled 5 small holes (3/32) lined up with where the rails would be, then used a small nut and bolt through the hole for the center support to hold it in place, and stuck a letter c drill bit between the rail and the top rail of the receiver to hold it parallel. welded down through the hole, and got the rail material puddling, and carried it into the receiver metal. came out nice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i bolted mine
i will say i won' do my next one that way
it functions but i had to dremel part of the heads off so my safety lever would clear
and it looks piss poor compared to the welded ones
just my opinion
i didn't have the option of spot or mig welding
but before i build my next one i'll be buying or making a spot welder

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys I wasn't shore if mig welding the rails on
would warp the rails or reciever. I don't want to screw anything up
so I'll probably be asking for more help down the road.
thanys
dixieboy

·
Registered
195 Posts
There isn't really any room for screws and the mag, scope mount, and selector will get in the way. I will never bolt mine again.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Dixie, the only time I puddle welded rails it did'nt hold. One of them just fell out when I took the center support out, not sure why. In the past I have welded spots around the edge of the rail from inside the receiver, that causes less of a mess on the outside of the receiver and no sanding or grinding which to me screws up the look of the reciever.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a Spot Welder. You can find the 115v for around $149.00. You can mod the existing tongs and be ready to go.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
dixieboy said:
The reason I ask is I have a mig welder but no spot welding function other then drilling a hole in the reciever and welding it that way.
That's all you'll need to do. Don't let these hacks fool ya! :D A MIG will suffice.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/construction/rails.htm

http://pookieweb1:61129/ak/ace/mig/welds.htm

About the sticky welding balls - I was turned on to anti-spatter spray. This stuff acts like non-stick PAM cooking spray for a welder. Search online for anti-spatter and you'll find all sorts of welding supply houses with the stuff. You can get it from HD under the Lincoln label in the tools section. Also here:

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/1620-16.html

hth,
- Jerry (uber-hack guru)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ive used Brownells Fusion silver solder on mine. You spread the stuff on the back side of the rails like peanut butter, put the "C" size drill bit in place, clamp it down with a small pair of vise grips and use mapp gas tourch and heat it up until you get the solder to flow. They have not ever fallen out yet. Only thing is you have to really have the rails clamped in tight or the heat will warp them away from the receiver walls. You also get the side benefit of heat treating those rails at the same time.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I bolted mine on to hold them in place for welding. I drilled 3 holes and tap 2 of them. Put screws in the 2 I tapped and welded the 3rd. Then I took one screw out and welded the 2nd, and so on. The nice thing that I found about doing it this way, especially if you're making your own rails, is that you can bolt them in place and they can be easily removed & re-attached for tweaking. Then once you get them in place, then weld away.

Also if you have a small enough round file, you can elongate the holes a little so you can raise or lower them to get them in the exact spot needed. After you tighten the screws, it holds really good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts