Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to finally be able to piece my parts kit together along with my receiver from ACE. However, I've ran into a stumbling block on deciding what to rivet it together with. I don't have a press or the room for one so I think I'm going to rule it out of the picture for now. It is also pretty costly to buy all the different jigs for the different locations of rivets. I read hcpookie's site on his bolt cutters that can smash rivets as well as some of the links to hand riveters. A bolt cutter riveter would probably do the trick, but I don't yet have a grinder. So, I decided given the constraints with room and tools, I'd purchase a commercial hand riveter that would do the job well. What I'm looking for is a reasonable priced riveter that can get to all the rivets on an AK. I know there was a website I looked at not too long ago, where I guy showed a bunch of the tools he used for model airplanes I believe. There were quite a few rivet guns he used for the different jobs. Does anyone currently use a hand riveter that will work on an AK and that can get to all the different rivets? I'm looking for suggestions you might have to help me in deciding what kind of purchase to make. I'm looking for something that is decent quality but won't break my bank!

·
Registered
37 Posts
All of the hand riveters I have seen have run in excess of $125, with some exceeding $250. That is because you also have to buy dies to fit the riveter AND the rivets you are using. And the dies come in sets not singles. The best thing for you to do would be to purchase a 4" grinder from Harbor Freight, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc (cost less than $50), a set of 24" bolt cutters (cost $25) and a dremel tool set up from those stores or Wal-Mart (cost $25). You have just acquired all of the basic tools needed for completing any build for any rifle kit out there. And you have about $100 invested. The bolt cutter/rivet squeezer will be the only tool that has a specific job and cannot be used for anything else.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
A small 5/8 arbor makita right angle grinder for about 25$ is hadr to beat and wont take up a bunch of space.
you may be able to find bolt cutters very cheap in one of those discount tool places too, cheap enough to experiment and not worry
ps dont get the jaws too hot when grinding, keep puting them into water again and again if you try it

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, I'd really like to look into a set of hand riveters that would do the job. Not that the bolt cutters won't work, I would just like to check out my options before deciding on the bolt cutters. Has anyone had any experiece with a set of hand riveters that will work on an AK? nd if it means figuring the price with a set of dies, then I'd like to price it up. But with no experience with this type of equipment, was hoping to get some recommendations.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone out there had any experience with hand riveters that would work effectively on an AK? Brands, size,etc...?

·
Registered
5 Posts
RIVIT TOOL

yosuthnmasa said:
Anyone out there had any experience with hand riveters that would work effectively on an AK? Brands, size,etc...?
I HATE TO MUD UP THE WATERS BUT WOULD A BRAKE LINING RIVIT TOOL WORK FOR OUR PURPOSES? THEY ARE ABOUT 28.00. JW

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
warejr said:
I HATE TO MUD UP THE WATERS BUT WOULD A BRAKE LINING RIVIT TOOL WORK FOR OUR PURPOSES? THEY ARE ABOUT 28.00. JW
Could you direct me to exactly what you're talking about it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts