Gunco Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm ready to take the plunge on a parts kit and try to get started on my first build. But, I'm having a hard time deciding which parts kit I want to buy. I have been looking at the AMD's from CF but would also like suggestions for others. This would be my first build. What parts kit would you choose for your first build? And, I'm not sure which receiver I want either. I am thinking about using a "U-Bend" receiver so I can learn as much as I can and have the most headaches!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Not that you should do as I did, but here is what I got.

AMD63 from CF and ACE blank.

The kit is flawless with just a few wood dings and the metal parts are in supreme shape. Tiny bit of bolt wear from turning in the carrier. I hope to cut my blank tonight to the right length and then start drilling the holes.

I'm only one step ahead of you at this point.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
Why did you choose the 63 over lets say the 65? Can we use the barrel that comes with these kits? CF says it can't be used on a build.
The importer can't use the kits to make firearms (thus the disclaimer about repair and repaclement only.) That seems to be the way that kits are coming in now. But the person buying the kit from the importer can assemble it into a firearm with no problem as long as foreign parts count is 10 or less. The 63 is a nice kit and the 65's are nice too. A couple options to get the barrel legal length on the 65 that might make it a little more time consuming to build though. Most use a barrel extension like what tapco or fac sells then the brake that came with it. Moses at the falfiles (and akfiles) sells an extended brake that looks nice but is $50 shipped. The link is Moses AMD65 brake . FAC also sells an extended brake if I remember right. The extended brakes are nice because you don't need to use a barrel extension which saves on one less area to have to silver solder or weld. I am going with a different look and going with a fake "can" on the end (fake suppressor - similar to what krinks have added for non SBR friendly states). It will screw on to the threads on the barrel, extend the length another 6" and then be blind pinned, etc. I like the AMD kits, but I also wish there were other kits around the same price (to help give variety in builds.) Hopefully centerfire or another importer will get in some other neat variations soon.

As for what kind of receiver to get. Well the vulcans are nice if you want one that is already done. I haven't used OOW so can't say for sure. As for the do it yourself blanks, bentmetal blanks (Robert Ibe) are nice. Here is the site Bent Metal Blanks . I've heard nice things about ace arms and think that is what quite a few build with. The flats from tapco or fac can be bent into a receiver and used. The u bend and weld receiver flats look nice but would need someone good with welding to get them to look right (in my opinion anyway). Either way there are a lot of good choices out there. :smile:

·
Registered
625 Posts
OOW?

sniper69 said:
The importer can't use the kits to make firearms (thus the disclaimer about repair and repaclement only.) That seems to be the way that kits are coming in now. But the person buying the kit from the importer can assemble it into a firearm with no problem as long as foreign parts count is 10 or less. The 63 is a nice kit and the 65's are nice too. A couple options to get the barrel legal length on the 65 that might make it a little more time consuming to build though. Most use a barrel extension like what tapco or fac sells then the brake that came with it. Moses at the falfiles (and akfiles) sells an extended brake that looks nice but is $50 shipped. The link is Moses AMD65 brake . FAC also sells an extended brake if I remember right. The extended brakes are nice because you don't need to use a barrel extension which saves on one less area to have to silver solder or weld. I am going with a different look and going with a fake "can" on the end (fake suppressor - similar to what krinks have added for non SBR friendly states). It will screw on to the threads on the barrel, extend the length another 6" and then be blind pinned, etc. I like the AMD kits, but I also wish there were other kits around the same price (to help give variety in builds.) Hopefully centerfire or another importer will get in some other neat variations soon.

As for what kind of receiver to get. Well the vulcans are nice if you want one that is already done. I haven't used OOW so can't say for sure. As for the do it yourself blanks, bentmetal blanks (Robert Ibe) are nice. Here is the site Bent Metal Blanks . I've heard nice things about ace arms and think that is what quite a few build with. The flats from tapco or fac can be bent into a receiver and used. The u bend and weld receiver flats look nice but would need someone good with welding to get them to look right (in my opinion anyway). Either way there are a lot of good choices out there. :smile:

I've got to ask, What is OOW? or who is OOW.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
My first build was an AMD 65 on an ace blank. I think the AMD 63 would be better for a first build as was said before because no barrel extender is needed, plus you don't have to mess with the notch for the side-folding stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my sugesstion would be to buy several different parts kits, not just one. They are cheap enough now to do so. And when you finish your first build you are going to want to start another right away, beleive me, it is addicting!!

Mike

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, thanks, thanks for all the input guys. This has really helped me make a decision on which parts kit to buy first. More than one kit would be really nice, but when you add in all the tools(for us newbies), compliance parts, jigs, and all the other odds and ends, I'm broke. I really like the look of the AMD-65, especially the folding stock and the good possibility I will be able to leave it functional in the near future. If the AWB does sunset, will the barrel length still be an issue for the -65? At the present, it looks like I'm leaning towards the AMD-63 for a couple of reasons. Up front it is a little more expensive, but in the long run I should come out cheaper by not having to add extensions to the barrel and a brake. Also, the -63, from what you guys can tell me, should be a little easier because I won't have to worry about the hardware for the folding stock. As much as I'd like to just go all out on my first build, I think K.I.S.S. will be my motto this go round! Couple of quick questions too. Are there any other parts kits that you guys would recccomend? If I go with the AMD-63 parts kit, which compliance parts are unique for the AMD-63? For example, what length piston will I need to buy to replace the original?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
I really like the look of the AMD-65, especially the folding stock and the good possibility I will be able to leave it functional in the near future. If the AWB does sunset, will the barrel length still be an issue for the -65? At the present, it looks like I'm leaning towards the AMD-63 for a couple of reasons. Up front it is a little more expensive, but in the long run I should come out cheaper by not having to add extensions to the barrel and a brake. Also, the -63, from what you guys can tell me, should be a little easier because I won't have to worry about the hardware for the folding stock.
NOTE: Edited yosuthnmasa quote to save space.

Minimum barrel length is 16" reguardless, most make it 16 1/4" to be safe. So the AMD-65 will have to have an add-on to the barrel to make it legal.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So barrel length is effected by some other law besides the AWB. Looks like the AMD-63, for me, will be the best choice for my first build. I like the looks of the AMD-65 but I think it will have to wait this go round. Now to give Lois @ CF systems a call and order one of these kits as well as let her know about Gunco!

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
So barrel length is effected by some other law besides the AWB. Looks like the AMD-63, for me, will be the best choice for my first build. I like the looks of the AMD-65 but I think it will have to wait this go round. Now to give Lois @ CF systems a call and order one of these kits as well as let her know about Gunco!
Lois is a sweetheart and a great lady to deal with. She is even registered here and has posted a few times. If my memory serves me correctly, you can get the -63 for around $110 for a like new kit.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She was very nice when I spoke to her. The kit with $8.50 shipping came out to be $122.06. So I guess the kit was around $113 vs the $129 listed price at CF. Nice deal! All I had to do was mention that I was a member of "gunco". I asked her about the remaining quantities and she said they had around 200 left out of 12,000 total kits. I sure was glad to get my order in. If anyone is still sitting on the fence deciding to buy one, I would go ahead and place my order. I wanted to go ahead and buy 2 kits, but the funds won't allow for it now!

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
She was very nice when I spoke to her. The kit with $8.50 shipping came out to be $122.06. So I guess the kit was around $113 vs the $129 listed price at CF. Nice deal! All I had to do was mention that I was a member of "gunco". I asked her about the remaining quantities and she said they had around 200 left out of 12,000 total kits. I sure was glad to get my order in. If anyone is still sitting on the fence deciding to buy one, I would go ahead and place my order. I wanted to go ahead and buy 2 kits, but the funds won't allow for it now!
Plus if a CC is used I'm pretty sure with centerfire that there is a 3% charge for it - but either way it is still a great deal, IMHO. I'm wondering what the next kind of kits will be coming and from what country.

·
Registered
825 Posts
sniper69 said:
Lois is a sweetheart and a great lady to deal with. She is even registered here and has posted a few times. If my memory serves me correctly, you can get the -63 for around $110 for a like new kit.
Lois just sent me two kits. These kits are so nice (and cheap) that I am going to buy new handguards and gastubes and build them as different variations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.