Gunco Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refinishing an old belgum browning A-5 shotgun . I am going to use duracoat for the finish. I was wondering whether to use the matte black, or the semi gloss black. I would like to get close to the original finish as possible.
thanks, T M

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If you want to replicate the original finish - which I would very strongly recommend - take it to a reputable gunsmith and have it reblued with field-grade polishing (when a weapon is reblued, the old finish and many of the scratches are buffed off first - fancy schmancy weapons are highly polished, more utilitarian weapons are given a less shiny field-grade buffing. A good reblueing requries hot-tank blueing, which is beyond the capabilities of the home hobbiest.

You've got a fine shotgun on your hands there, it's worth it.

Make sure your shotgun doesn't have significant collectors' value before you refinish it. It probably doesn't, but I'd make sure, first.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am going to just order a new buttstock, and forearm from browning. I think I an going to leave the original finish like it is for now. I have found out (today) that it was made in 1903, and has a serial number of 99. I figured I would ruien the value of it if I altered it, and seeing it is 101 years old it will make it a little longer .

Thanks for the info, T M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts