Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Safety Harbor Ultramag 50 upper back in November and I should be getting it soon(soon has been awhile). I'd like to reload it to save myself some money and thus allow me to shoot it more often. I currently reload .223, 9mm, .45, and .44. I know I need a new press and plan to order the Lee 50bmg press. What else will I need...case trimmer, powder measure? The press comes with dies but no crimp. So basically, any of you that reload 50, what should I get? Also, is there any source for inexpensive surplus powder left?

Other things I have considered is getting a swaging setup although it seems really expensive or getting a bullet sizing die to use pulled bullets.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Pat's Reloading is temp out of IMR 5010, but check back every so often. No idea of the next price round on that powder. http://patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

Thank Klinton for (and Bush for not rescinding) an executive order that mandates destruction of surplus powder instead of selling it back to those who paid for it in the first place :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll bite. I have the Lee 50bmg setup. Be shur to lube the heck out of the cases. It takes some effort to resize them. For a trimmer, I use the Lee cutters and case holder/stop dohickeys. For bullets, I choose Hi-tech ammo. I ordered a whole bunch. I got my powder/primers from Bartlett Reloaders. Cases came from Midway they were on sale there a while back. Wideners has loaded ball ammo in stock. You will also need a Lee bullet size die for the out of round pulled bullets. A primer pocket uniformer, I recomend K&M services, thier phone number 7172923175. The reason that you will need a primerpocket uniformer is that there is no standard dimention for the 50 bmg. I don't have a powder measure yet that will throw a 215gr charge but rcbs does make one. I can't recommend a deburing tool for the case mouths. I use a file while they're in my lathe for the outside, and a regular wilson style one for the inside and to remove crimped primer crimps. :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered another 100 rounds from ATG. Its the French ammo that had the hard primers. I guess it was sent to Summit and they put new primers in. So I will have 260 rounds to fire and then reload. I will likely order primers/bullets/powder in the next couple weeks as I find them.

The reloading equipment will come later, piece by piece since it isn't cheap. But I don't even have my upper to shoot any of this yet, so I am not too worried.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The RCBS had a good sizing die but the decapping pin and the expander stem are weak and both break. The Hornady expander is suppose to be a problem due to it's odd football shape. I haven'tt used it. The Lee dies might be a good deal I haven't used them. I got tired of the RCBS parts breaking and went to CH4D dies. Funny I like the Hornady expander in other calibers. I bought the RCBS dies 20 years ago with an Ammomaster press. I still use the press. Here's a link for CH4D. It takes a bit searching to locate the 50 BMG dies on their website.

Welcome to CH Tool & Die / 4D Custom Die

Our 50 BMG die set comes complete (as seen to the right) with a Full-Length sizer and a crimp seater. They are made on a 1-1/2-12 thread die body with a 7/16 decapping rod and 1/8 decapping pin. The expander ball is cut into the decapping rod which makes it extremely sturdy. As you can see, these dies are extremely heavy-duty. Over the last decade we?ve only had a few reports of a problem occurring with the decapping assembly in those cases a berdan primed case was the culprit and to this date we have never heard of a problem developing with the dies themselves. With that kind of track record, and at this price, you can?t afford to buy your 50 BMG dies anywhere else!

M2 Precision

M2 Precision

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
with all the 50 we go thru.... you'd think we would reload...

but with all the special stuff needed, it still turns out cheaper for me to just shop it around. been finding it for $2ish a round again..

how much you guys reloading got in a round? $1.50? or less?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
on a side note last night I attended a seminar,

one of the guys is a Park ranger they just bought sections of a old ww2 gunnery training range for gunners on B-17's he brought in a coffee can full of projectiles,, most just needed to run through the tumbler I was surprise how un deformed they were

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I guess if it's $2 or less a round loaded it's not worth reloading as a projo and powder primer would be very close to that price.. sprat yeah if it's just the armor penetrator your seeing I've seen them hit a bolder and the penetrator is sharp enough to draw blood.. that stuff is hard as A D.I. heart.. I've also seen it sticking out the back side of a steel plate.. also sharp as a center punch..

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
got one that went off in my garage a few years back that i'll post ya up..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts