Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back several pages and did not see this question addressed, so here it is!
Is ther any advantage to loading shot shells? I know that there are people who do it. But, it does not appeal to me. I do reload several handgun and rifle calibers, but, I just can't see any reason to reload Shotgun ammo. In this area, you can currently purchase a box of 25 for $6-$10.
I just don't think it would be worth my time to reload. But, maybe I'm missing something. I'd love to hear your opinions.

·
NoWorkCamp4Me
5,546 Posts
I got into it about 25 or 30 years ago whn I found a used LEE Load All at a gun shop.I was scattergunman back then.I advanced to a MEC600jr 12ga reloader and bought a couple of slug barrels for my Mossy500.I bought the Lyman foster and sabot slug moulds and had lots of fun doing what Marines do best,tear chet up.Got married around 1991 and the new wife explained how stupid it was to waste money on shooting when she could find better uses for our money.I put that shotgun away and gave up shooting until 2004 when a neighbour broke into my house to liberate my chet.Since then I started buying 1911s,AKs,etc,etc.I now reload 45lc,45acp,7.62x63,and 7.62x51.YOU DON'T SAVE MONEY RELOADING.It allows you to shoot more for less.And custom load ammo is much better than store bought ammo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Slugs and buckshot are not cheap and there are numerous exotic loads for a shotgun. I load all these and come out well below cost. Got some 1" fletchetts the other day in the mail. What game could I use those on? Steel 5/16th balls=great penetration. Just don't shoot at steel plate!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
As said above, slugs and buck.

Or just to play around with stuffing things in them that shouldn't be there. Seen someone load .22lr into shotshells.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
As said above, slugs and buck.

Or just to play around with stuffing things in them that shouldn't be there. Seen someone load .22lr into shotshells.

·
Cranky Curmudgeon
1,556 Posts
I always rolled my own when I was competing in trap every week. Cost was about half of what factory loads were.

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
Was at our range here in the A.O. watching the shot-gunners shoot clay pigeons.. Whole barrel sitting with empty cleaned up shells..
Asked why nobody was grabbing and reloading?
General consensus was yes a money saver in the long run.. But they to have slowed or stopped on the reloading till things $$ slow down with this damn ammo panic..
Most said they reload.. Just a pain getting supplies, mainly powder, so they stopped..

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
IMO,, only worth it if you shoot allot of skeet/trap. For the normal guy/older guy, not worth it to get started now, till prices and component availability is better and cheaper.

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
I have seen many used shotshell reloader set ups for dirt cheap around here. Seems every gun store has a dusty cardboard box full of good shotshell reloading stuff. Dont know why that is. I have an rcbs shotshell reloader that sits on top of my rock chucker. Not as good for high volume but to load a few now and again its great. I got it back in my SASS days for loading black powder shell for the black powder catagory competition. Mine is a bit different as it has a star crimper for plastic shells. https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Ma...l=index&productId=5297&route=COWBOY+SHOTSHELL

·
Always sore, always tired
6,781 Posts
It would be worth it to me if I could find a good deal on paper hulls. I just LOVE the smell of burnt powder & paper shells!

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Are you kidding? There's been lots of discussions on this... of course it is.

Obviously... ***IF*** you have reloading equipment and resources you are all set.

You need to find a gun club where you can go scrounge shotshells... wear a glove and bring a trash bag :) Wads are a dime a dozen - not really worth counting. Having lead to melt for shot and slugs is something you may or may not have access to. Of course all this should go without saying!

Go look at retail prices. Slugs = $3.00 per shot on average. Buckshot isn't much better.

Now all you really need to do is the math on whether investing in a press + powder + primers is going to be cheaper vs. buying the stuff. Of course it will be cheaper as long as you load up more than perhaps 100 rounds or so (doing the math on slugs). After that, the cost of powder and primers is the only thing you really need to account for. So from my math - let's say at the 150 round mark - the press has paid for itself! At least that's my experience! :cool:

YMMV

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I've been reloading shotgun shells since about 1990 it is well worth the effort.. even the target loads is worth doing.. the biggest piece of advise I'd give is get a quality reloading machine fromm the start, like a P/W 375 or Dillon, Mec don't buy a crap/cheap lee load all you'll be dissapointed.. B2B

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Good Lord hcpokkie,,,,slugs and buckshot sure are expensive where you live!!! A bit over a buck a round is the most I've seen it for around here, except for the exotic stuff like "aero tip" and stuff like that.

Even with all this panic shit I just got some more just this last week and it was only 1.12 per round delivered (90 bucks for 80 rnds)for Fiocchi 2 3/4" 1ozHP slug 1560fps,,with a plastic ammo can included. Remington 00 was running a bit more @ 1.20 per round delivered,,, these are all,, by the case/can prices of course.

Man I hope all the ammo prices aren't consistently that high in your area!!! OUCH!!

I know it's kinda a mute point at this point in time sense lots of stuff is sold out there now,,,,,like most places,, but have any of you guys gone to Target Sports for ammo. There my go to for ammo and there prices and service are very, very hard to beat. I hadn't found many places that were any better on 99% of there stuff.

Ive gotten a ton of orders from them in the last couple years or so and other than one time,, no snafu's at all. And even then they made everything ,,,,MORE than right. I'd ordered 20 box's of 6.5x55 SP and they sent FMJ by accident,, returned it and by the time it got back they were out of SP, so I just settled for the FMJ. They replaced it with a full case,, 25 box's,, of the FMJ, both of which were the same price to start with. Now that's outstanding cust. service if you ask me,,,,

Hell I thought I'd be all set a couple years ago with the 10k or so rounds I had loaded up, but once I started seeing prices going up substantially on everything and supplies dwindling fast, I started buying. Ammo and reloading supply's alike. I'm REALLY ALL SET now,,

I'm sure glad I've got some friends in higher levels of the industry that gave me a heads up on ammo and gun prices before it went crazy, or I'd be short like many others that didn't plan ahead. MAN OH MAN,,,, I'm glad I listened to these guys and got stuff early!!! With all being said and done I'm now at 106 guns and with this last ammo order I'll break 64K in ammo,, and still reloading. Powder , projectiles, and primers, and lead are well stocked too, I cast so my projectile supply is ridiculous at this point,, must have 10k ready to go at this point.:wow:

I JUST MIGHT BE A,,,,REAL,,, GUN NUT,,, what ya think?????
And you thought HLS was over the top,,,,:lol::lol::lol: GEZZZZZ!!!

And I didn't even use,, YOUR,,, tax dollars to do it with!!! Like HLS did,,,:lol::lol:

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Well perhaps "up to $3.00 on average" is what I should have said. Local shop and BPS are the places to buy stuff around here and they usually run a bit high anyway. Midway isn't much better, but I am looking at the Remington accu-tip "high performance" sabot slugs and they are $14.00 / box of 5. SO yes "up to" $3.00 / shot is more accurate.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Oh good, I thought we'd need to do some trading just to get you some decent priced 12ga ammo down that way,,,that "aero" slug stuff is CRAZY spendy ,,,,why so damn much, it's the same damn projectile you can get for muzzle loaders @ ,,,,if I remember right $28 per 40rnds , last time I saw it ??? I forgot who made it right now, T/C maybe???? But have seen the aero tip stuff for muzzle loaders in the same size and weight,,,,,what's up with that???

HELL,,,There just stuffing it into a shot gun hull/wad,,,,no big deal,,,labor must be VERY expensive where they make that stuff!!!! Last I saw of that aero tip stuff it was almost 18 bucks a box for 5 rnds,,,,,gimmie a break!!! Lead slugs with the same load is only 4.99 at wally world!!!??? I know those projectiles aren't that much!!! But I haven't really researched it, so maybe,,,who knows now days, every things gone nuts!!! I just can't keep up anymore!!!:loopeye::loopeye:

It does have great performance though. But I'd Just buy the projectiles and stuff them yourself,,that would be how I'd go I think. If I reloaded for shotgun,,,,I just do pistol and rifle myself. I don't use shotgun for plinking, just hunting, and not enough then to justify a separate press/dies/ect for it.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Well those specialized sabot rounds are for those who are stuck in a "shotgun-only" hunting state. Those guys can use those rounds to reach out > 100 yds on average. Obviously talking rifled slug barrels for use. There's that Youtube video of the blogger review dude shooting his gong at I think it was 150+ yards out of a Benelli with the "special" slugs. Very impressive! Can't think of his name now... but I can find that vid.

Yeah I scrounge the hulls from the local gun club (they like it when I empty their trash for them! :D ) and wads are like $10/1000 so no biggie there.

I use Unique in mine because I'm trying to be a "one powder for as many calibers as possible" kind of reloader. Works for now...

Primers - I bought Cheddite primers from Graf's a while back for a REALLY good deal. Not sure if they have them. Comparable to Federal (actually supposedly a little hotter, but my experience has them just a little "cooler" than Federals). Seems like they were about half price of Federals.

Slugs - wheel weights and the Lee slug mold.

"Done". ;)

So really all I really have to really invest money in is the powder and primers. But I have a few thousand primers, and my 8 lb. jug of powder should last a little while longer.

I think we computed our final price, counting "overhead" of electricity to melt the lead, at around $0.25/shot. Groups out to about 65 yds out of the S-12 are good enough for hunting. At 50 yards I can keep them in the 9-ring, grouping about as big as your hand. For my stomping grounds, this is more than enough! :)

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
OK I found that vid - NOT a shotshell reloading vid, but demonstrating what can be done for long-range loads w/ the right setup. Wincheseter "rifled" hulls (technically not rifled but that's what everyone calls them) out of a Benelli - hitting a deer sized target at 230 yards:

[video=youtube;nNTyCcip-ks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyCcip-ks]Shotgun Slugs at 230 Yards - YouTube[/video]

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
A Mec 600 has an adapter allowing 3.5" shells to be loaded. I bought the Mec in 1967, I may have $200 in both.

I use these for turkey, deer and ducks as well as the odd coyote and feral dog.

Good turkey loads here are $2 each. I can load a 2.25 oz of 5 shot for $.30 a round, at least until my old supply of powder and primers run out. Plus I enjoy it.

For every one animal there's probably 20 rounds patterned for new red dots, chokes and loads. After 10 boxes the set up is paid for one more time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts