Gunco Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I lucked into a complete MEC Sizemaster loading setup in 12 gauge a while back for $50. Complete, as in there were bags of shot, boxes full of empty hulls and bags and bags of wads. Only thing I had to buy was primers and powder. I loaded up most of the shot, and then concentrated on buckshot. Only round ball mold I could find at the time close to 00 was a Lee 2 cavity mold for a black powder "squirrell rifle", right at .32 caliber so it was actually "single aught" buck! Made a ton of those too. Haven't messed with it lately as the loaded ammo is mainly for long term storage and I rarely shoot my shotguns. Still have maybe 500 empties, maybe a thousand wads, and a little over a thousand 209 primers left, so I should be set for a while hunting/home protection wise.

Also made up a lot of those "bird scare" cartridges for those times when ya wanna "send a message". Pretty simple, you just take wad, drill a hole through it, and insert an "M60" (at least they are called that!) with the fuse going through the hole so the end is down in the powder charge. Fray the end of the fuse a bit and secure the firecracker with a bit of hot melt glue and load as you would a standard shot load. Varying the length of the fuse will give you an airburst or enough delay to drop it behind some unsuspecting.... birds.

Buy used and you will save some $$ over new. Ebay has dozens at any one time, some going for as little as $30! I prefer the MEC brand. BTW, the MEC and most other loaders use a set of bushings to meter out the shot and powder. While they work OK, an adjustable charge bar has dials that adjust the internal volume, much easier to dial in a different load or fine tune one than changing out bushings.

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
How much did those originally sell for? That looks like kind of an elaborate setup, I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.
I doubt I payed much over 30 bucks,new. Slow, but gets the job done.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Well worth it to me to be able to load; Buck shot, Slugs, Nickel plated shot, copper plated shot, Bismuth shot, Heavy shot, ITX shot, Steel shot, Buffered shot, sabot slugs.. bolo slugs, flairs, ball bearings, rock salt, Black powder shells, Blanks, the 28 gauge, 10 Gauge, 410 (expensive ammo) everything from light clay target loads, subsonic loads to Heavy hitting 2 oz turkey loads.. and everything in-between.. worth it???? hell yeah to me it is.. B2B

21 - 25 of 25 Posts