Gunco Forums banner

261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
yes it was posted on akfiles market place and I'd been looking for one.... and I couldn't pass it up.. and I don't care about " this is MY safety Sir"
I am east german collector I passed on it and yes it was on the akfiles site, I am looking for the box and matching scope, I just got outbid about 4 months ago on one
a friend talked me out of getting one of these when century imported them.

regrets we have

with the longer barrel you should be able to reload a real good load, verse using a shorter barrel plus its a krieghof/steyr made barrel

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I'm not a collector although I do like german guns.. and it's cool to have a gun from a country that no longer exists.. I'd been looking for one for years.. I'd see them now and again...usually way to expensive.. I really only wanted it for easy load development.. and not chase brass.. So shooter grade didn't bother be at all.. as long s it had a good bore and was usable...I didn't really have the extra $$ but I knew it was a once in a while chance to get one Cheaper.. I plan on in the long run..making a rail for the scope mount to install a higher power target scope... maybe will take a while another project.. but I know it was a match barrel.. I have another styer 30-06 and it is a beauty as well... it is a lot of fun to shoot and the scope is cool but a little hard to adjust at first...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am back! Started reforming my 222 with resizing wax and all i got to say is what a difference. Wondering if anyone fooled with w748 yet.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Shopsmart here is the latest.. projo..that I will give a try..

Hornady ELD Match Rifle Bullets

Patented Heat Shield tips allows bullets to retain shape
Delivers the highest-in-class ballistic coefficients
High degree of accuracy and consistency
Aerodynamically superior and Doppler-radar verified

Technologically advanced, enhanced-accuracy target bullets, Hornady ELD Match Rifle Bullets feature patented Heat Shield™ tips with the meplat (tip point) that defy the effects of aerodynamic heating and retain their shape while maintaining the highest-in-class ballistic coefficients, superior accuracy and extreme consistency from bullet to bullet and lot to lot. AMP bullet jackets. Optimum secant ogive, boattail design and precision-swaged lead cores.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone here find a 224 bullet they can size down that will achieve the full OAL of the 5.45 round? I have successfully started mass production the brass and now. I know the use the blemished ones and all, but not in stock from what i have seen... and I also have a bass pro gift card :p

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
Anyone here find a 224 bullet they can size down that will achieve the full OAL of the 5.45 round? I have successfully started mass production the brass and now. I know the use the blemished ones and all, but not in stock from what i have seen... and I also have a bass pro gift card :p
this. The rim leaves the feed lips before the bullet tip enters the chamber if too short.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Excellent thread. I'm gathering the gear to add 5.45 to my reloading ability. I hope to post some results and I'm sure I'll have some questions.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The 70 Gr Burger is long enough and works great but it is not a cheap option... I'll get some measurements if I can unpack to find them...

·
Registered
43 Posts
After reading through this thread for more times than I can remember I have observations and some questions. First off, I've done brass conversions for harder to find brass like 7.7 and 6.5 Japanese without issues. At least with those there is established load data. What has me scratching my head about 5.45 loading is where to start as far as charge weights as that is a new aspect of reloading to me.

I've all but given up on converting 5.56/.223 brass. I cant justify the loss rate even if the brass is basically free. Although harder to find .222 brass is so much easier to convert. Would forming .223 brass first to .222 then converting it to 5.45 work? Midway has .222 dies on sale, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/497291/lee-rgb-2-die-set. Honestly If I build up a good stash of .222 I plan on ditching messing around with .223 conversions.

Most loads posted here are based around IMR-4198, H322, AA 2520 etc. Has anyone tried IMR-4895, IMR-4064, Varget, AA 2230 or BLC-2? As you can probably tell I load for a few U.S. "M" rifles and I would like to avoid having to stock more powders.

I know people are wary(myself included) about posting loads. I'm really just looking for safe starting loads so that I can work up a load ladder. I have noticed people use .221 Fireball load data. Would it be safe to use the lowest starting loads for .222 for load development? Just a quick look in my reloading manuals and I can find starting loads with the powders I mentioned.

I would like to thank the previous posters for all the info, it has been beyond helpful to get started in 5.45 loading.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All that and I forgot to add what bullets I planed to use, :redface:

My plan was to use mostly Hornady 55gr Fmj and Sp, along with Nosler 60gr bullets at least in the beginning then try some different weights and manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
then I pull a bullet from a factory load with the same projectile weight weigh the powder charge.. and don't go over that amount with a similar powder charge.. I don't think you'll have luck with those other powders...too slow burning.. I stuck with 4198 1680. to be clear..Say the factory powder charge was 19 GR and the projo was 60 Gr.. if your loading a 60 Gr bullet don't go over 19 gr with your similar powder...and work your load up.. it's not perfect but its very likely safe...use a chronograph and check for pressure signs...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had the 222 brass, resized 55gr., etc. laying around since picking up my die sets in a group buy several years ago. Finally got around to piddling with the stuff the other day and made up a few rounds. It's a lot of cranking without having a power trimmer, so not much fun there.
Anyway I used 18gr. of 3031 because I happened to have a bit left over from other ventures. Finished case length is 1.640" & COAL is 2.060". Overall I'm pleased with the outcome as far as looks though the cases are straight walled, which the first firing shall address as they expand to the tapered chamber.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The way I make my brass is.. I use a Forester hand trimmer..with a .224 dia pilot. I trim the 222 cases to the proper 545 length or very close making sure to keep it slightly long.. I anneal the case with a propane torch.. I then take the decapping stem out of my resizing die..and using imperial sizing wax run it into the sizing die about 1/3 of the way back up the ram and run it 2/3 into the die again back it up and finish the case forming.. the reason I do it like that ;is to reduce the stress on the brass and to reduce the chance of a wrinkle in the case shoulder.. I have not had to neck turn or neck ream any of my cases so far.. I then replace the decapping pin and run it trough the sizing die again to open the neck up to 221..replace the pilot with a .221 and trim the case to the proper length.. I do not use 223 cases as I have found out they are a lot more work and have a high number of failures in the case forming process.. I usually fire form my cases with a light charge usually around 15 grains of 1680 or 4198.. it's been along time since I have done any work on this project but that is about to change...

261 - 280 of 283 Posts