Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10/32 Tap broke while threading the rear trunnion. I am sure most of you have had this happen atleast once, but what is the easiest way to get the broken off section of tap out of the trunnion hole? I would like to get it out without buggering up the trunnion hole too badly.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
it depends on how far down the tap is broke off. The tool that cephus mentions works, but some have cut a slot in the tap and used a screwdriver to get it out (that is good for when the taphas a little bit above the surface of the hole). if it isn't a hss tap using a punch and a hammer will shatter it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buy a small left-handed drill bit and try to drill into the center of the broken tap, the bit will catch on the tap and run it out.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
I am the ultimate klutz of all times so I'm not surprised when I see something that I cannot do. Those damned carbide taps were impossible for me to drill into, slot or work with in any way. The only thing I could ever do was run a punch in from the other side and beat the living hell out of it.

:bangin:

I was successful. I decided never to tap another rear trunnion. There have been lessons in life that were harder for me to learn.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have to ask, now do not get me wrong I am just asking,, why are you tapping the rear trunion??? I understand screwing the front because you need a pressing jig to reach inside the trunion,,, BUT the rear is all the way through. Why not rivet it?? :confused: Slide it through and hammer it down. my amd63 is a screw job but only the front trunion all others are rivets done without a press. Do you want to be able to take it appart??
just wondering :smile:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hotbarrel said:
I have to ask, now do not get me wrong I am just asking,, why are you tapping the rear trunion??? I understand screwing the front because you need a pressing jig to reach inside the trunion,,, BUT the rear is all the way through. Why not rivet it?? :confused: Slide it through and hammer it down. my amd63 is a screw job but only the front trunion all others are rivets done without a press. Do you want to be able to take it appart??
just wondering :smile:

Thats what I plan on doing now. This is a AK-74 rear trunnion so it would use one long rivet and two short ones in the front. The front holes were tapped without a problem. It was the long hole on the rear that the tap broke off in. I am going to get it punched out tomarrow after work. I looked through my spare "AK parts" drawers and happened to find that I had one long rivet left, sweeeet!!!! I will use the long rivet in the back and use the 10/32 screws for the front holes until I get the correct length rivets for those.

Mike.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
They make special tap removal tools that have 2,3, or 4 fingers (depending on how many flutes) that reach down into the hole and grab the the tap flutes, then you just un-screw the tool and out comes the tap. I will admit that I have had broken taps that the tool would not get out. Also the books that Brownell's sells, it's a series called Gunsmith's Kinks (up to 4 volumes now) has a wealth of information on all sorts of gunsmith problems and how to fix them including broken tap removal. Well worth the price.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
oil, oil, oil... Turn tap in a litlle bit, then back it out.. oil, oil, oil, turn tap in little more, then back it out.. oil...ect ect.. take your time, and you should'nt ever break them...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
OK it is very clear to me now. just a heads up the rivets from pats group buy seem to be a bit longer. I realy like them to hand hammer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts