Gunco Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I drove down to Aim Surplus after work today. I had to get one of the Polish P-64 pistols. I hope it shoots as nice as it looks! The thing is smaller than my Makarov. There are some similarities between the Mak and P-64, but the P-64 has a few nicer features than the Mak. For example:

Spring loaded firing pin
Loaded chamber indicator
Larger, more accessible extractor (and spring/plunger assembly)

The finish is about 98+%. The grips look new and both mags are engraved with the pistol serial number. This is a VERY nice pistol. The internals are Mak-like, but the P-64 is definitely a different animal.

There is a drawback to today's festivities, however. The P-64 has a horrible, heavy trigger when in single action mode. I'd say it's around 15 pounds. The Mak is supposedly around 12, and the P-64 is WAY harder to pull. Even in double action mode, the trigger is still a little heavy. There is allegedly a method of shortening the hammer spring to lighten the single action pull. The double action pull is heavier than I prefer, but I can live with it.

My original planned budget plan was around $170 for pistol, transfer and tax. I wound up spending about $245! I also walked (dragged) out with a case of 7.62x54R Silver Tip Czech and a new condition Enfield #4 Mk 1 stock set.

I looked through the catalog while I was waiting, and DAMMIT! I'll be making another trip to Aim tomorrow after work. I found 2 more things that I want to buy while they're in stock. I just transferred some additional funds to my fun-money checking account for tomorrow's purchases.

Here's the new little toy. I had to put a 1911 in for size comparison. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I had given up on the .45s. The P-64 is on the left, Bulgarian Makarov is in the center, and my Colt MkIV Series 80 is on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rhino I had a subscription to ?Gun Tests? magazine last year and I?m sorry to say that they had a review of the P-64 (I think it came from AIM also). Basically it was negative and they said, ?Don?t buy this gun?. They gave it only OK remarks as to the finish, (Machining marks) and agreed with you on the trigger pull as being about 15 pounds but said it was gritty feeling also. Their gun also had feeding problems. They recommended purchasing a Makarov instead. I had a Makarov and a PA-63 and was thinking of getting a P-64 to go with them, but I changed my mind and bought another Mak. I?m glad I did because I was able to buy a load of new replacement parts on eBay for the Mak before the prices went up. Did you ever look at the PA-63? The PA-63 can be bought for around a $100 and is a great feeling gun in the hand, it looks like the Walther PPK and it has a very well designed safety. It has never jammed or misfired, and it?s got a nice trigger pull, very smooth, I can?t hit the target with it, I mean it?s OK for a defense gun, but it?s no target gun. The frame is aluminum alloy (Makarov is steel) and I think the barrel flexes too much under recoil because it?s mounted like a Makarov?s, pressed into that small block. I still like the gun; it just feels so good to hold in my hand. There?s one problem with ammo, I think it was Silver Bear ammo that won?t work in the PA-63, it?s a little too long to fit the mag, S&B, Wolf and everything else worked fine.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put 100 rounds through it today. I went to the range during my lunch break and let loose.

I would have to say that the write up in Gun Tests is wrong, at least about the one that I bought. I ran 100 rounds through without a single Fail-To-Feed, Fail-To-Fire, or Fail-To-Eject. Everything functioned flawlessly. I used Sellier & Bellot 9x18 and CCI Blazer Aluminum Case 9x18 and it gobbled up both without a hiccup. I will say that, much like the Mak, loading the magazines SUCKS! The feed lips are almost the length of the case and are a little squared off on the end. 6 rounds goes REAL fast (I'm spoiled by those 8-round Chip McCormick mags...).

Gun Tests is correct about the grittiness, but it is starting to go away. I'll probably buff and deburr the internals when I clean it. The 15 pound trigger SUCKS! I had to work to keep it on the paper at 12 yards in double action mode! Once the hammer is cocked, it's a different story. I'm still used to a nice 1911 trigger job, so a heavy military single action opens my groups up a bit. I just need to shoot more...

The sights are small, but DAO (and I don't mean Double Action Only)!!! Once I figured out how they were supposed to be aligned, my shots went where they were supposed to.

The mags wiggle around a little and the sharp edge between the grip and mag baseplate pinched me a couple times. I'll take care of that with a jeweler's file when I get around to cleaning it.

I'll post a pic of the first silhouette when I get a chance. I always flinch on the first shot with a surplus or used pistol. I can help but think about it coming apart and shredding my hand. I line up the sights, move my head out of the way, and then fire the first shot. I'm paranoid, but I've seen really horrible pics of torn up hands of shooters who had a pistol come apart on them. If the first shot doesn't do me in, it's time to see where the sights are lined up!!!

Overall, I like this pistol. The double action is actually just over 15 pounds on mine. If I can get that down to 10 or 12, I'll be a happy camper.

Okay. Now that I've given my shining review of the P-64, I don't want anybody blaming me if they buy one and it's bad. If I got the only good one, then neener neener neener!

I bought 2 more toys today, but I'll save the unveiling for a later date... :naughty:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I like the way those Polish pistols look and I'd like to get one, especially after hearing your experiences. I have a small SMC-380 which is like the PPK size of the Pa-63.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a target with 50 of the 100 rounds I put through the P64. The hole to the left, under the arm, was the very first shot. Like I said, I lined up and moved my head out of the way when I fired.

The other 5 circled shots were to see if it was going to jam or otherwise fail. The remainder of the shots were to finish off the first box of ammo. I ran through all the Sellier & Bellot stuff first. I ran the CCI Blazer aluminum case on the next target and got decent results.

All shots were fired at 25 yards. I won't complain about this pistol until I have to replace a spring or something else that breaks... I have no idea about the availability of spare parts as of yet. I haven't even looked to see if anything is available...

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rhino, I?m glad your doing better with your gun than ?Gun Tests? magazine did. I haven?t seen replacement parts for sale yet but there are enough pistols being sold I?ll bet you?ll see them soon, someone will start parting out the guns to make some money on top of their gun sales. For me my favorite pistols have to be my Makarov?s and a FEG built .380 that SOG was selling about a year and a half ago. It was made for the South African Police and is a copy of a Walther PPK, great gun, it?s all steel with the Walther style safety. It was just $200 but worth much more.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Here is my Polish pistol colection.

On the top is wz-35 Radom. In the middle is TT-33 on the bottom is P-64.
My P-64 was brand new, never fired and has the usual :sick: , double action trigger pull. When I took it to the range for the first time it would fire fine in the single action, but not in the double. I discovered a burr on the underside of the slide where it meets the disconnetor, a few passes with a flie fixed it. :thumbup1:

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice set of Polish pistols! :thumbup1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts