Gunco Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I was surprised 5.45x39 was the only round to penetrate the 3 1/2 foot tree. Definitely expected better penetration from 7.62x51.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I think the 5.45 did so well simply because the long slim bullet would tend to slide between the wood fibers, and the velocity was high enough to penetrate but not high enough to cause extreme deformation. And as Mac said, it was barely penetrating. A different loading in 5.45 and 5.56 might well have reversed the results. The .308 is puzzling though, I would have bet money the .308 would have smashed through but apparently the larger diameter, probably coupled with deformation, was limiting penetration. Like trying to jam an icepick through a piece of wood, versus a 3/8 inch sharpened steel rod.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I thought too, the slim bullet of the 5.45x39 because of its smaller diameter was able to slip through the wood better.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,697 Posts
5.45 is a bad ass little round... still cheap to shoot too!

tagging this to watch em all tonite on the highspeed.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
161 Posts
Moral of the story.....its how hard that trees core is, and the type of tree. Let's try Mahogany or Ipe. I think pine is softer so they all would go through, Oak like the video....50/50. Rounds like a needle are engineered to go through Russian trees and pass their tests. Joking.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I know this is a bit off topic but sense were talking long pointy bullets here I may slip this one in here,,,,

I'm still trying to figure out how to convert a AK or AR platform into a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. I know this would not only be a bit difficult without a complete re-engineering of either platform ,but man would that be a sweet set up IMO. A Vepr or similar might be a good base for a 6.5 X55 sweed build sense it has the longer 7.62X54R case to start with.

Worst part sense I've now moved from my other house to a new location I don't have access to a machine shop to work in now and I'm sure an idea like that would take considerable machine work. This has been in the back of my mind for quite some time as I love the 6.5 Sweed but really haven't done much research on if it could be done or not? Any ideas if this would even be an option?

I've only done 2 AK builds and 1 AR assembly so I don't have all that much experience building either. As you old timers here well know I'm a Mauser ,1903 builder more than anything else so maybe someone may have some kinda idea if this would even be feasible to try to do?

·
3/6 Infantry
4,761 Posts
The length is gonna be a bugger to overcome. I love the swede as well, built one on a beater 98 mauser receiver about a year ago to replace the 2 96 swedes I sold many moons ago. 6.5 creed in an AR10? I put one together 2 year ago. Sweet shooter but heavy as heck.
These penetration tests are interesting though.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I've keep all my M-96's and M38's and wouldn't trade them for love nor money and have had them for probably 45 years or better in some cases. I'm a huge fan of the 6.5X55 cartridge, well anything 6.5 for that matter. I haven't had any of the Creedmor or SPC guns though sense the X55 always worked so well for me, never saw the point in going for a boutique round as I've seen them come and go pretty quickly in the past. I've jumped down that wildcat rabbit hole way to many times before only to get something that doesn't perform all that much better than whats readily available. That long shouldered 6.5 projectile is a great round for long range use and keeps it's BC way way out there.

Ya the OAL is what has me stumped as far as building a semi auto of some type in 6.5x55 and I can't find another M42B to save my ass . I'd sold the only one I had many years ago and still kick myself to this very day for doing so.

BTW,,,I FINALLY got that engraved Mauser I'd gotten from you broken in. Man Oh Man, I never saw such a hard stainless barrel in all my life and it must have taken 4-500 rounds to get it to settle down. I'm shooting one hole groups @ 150m now though and everyone that see's it drools over it, it IS a beauty, for sure and another keeper! It absolutely loves the 168 gr HPBT Match Kings , I can't remember the powder and load I came up with off the top of my head , but I worked up a load that is amazing in that rifle. I put a 6x24 Millett scope on it and there's not a woodchuck in the county that's safe now,and I've made some incredible shots with that thing taking them out. I even took a deer with it at >800 yards and dropped him right in his tracks with a head shot, right where I was aiming. I'm still getting kudo's for that shot from my friends, 2 of them that saw it happen,just couldn't believe it when he dropped right there. Neither could I to be honest !! LOL

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I was kinda thinking along that line too Tommo but almost any AK platform kits of any kind are unobtainable nowadays and though I hadn't looked lately, I half assed looked around last summer and I couldn't find a single one of any kind available then.

Lots of the builds we all used to do on a regular basis and take for granted are a thing of the past I'm afraid to say sense there's hardly any parts kits to be had. I don't even recall the last time I saw any 03 Springfield or Mauser parts available other than new barrels, triggers , and aftermarket stocks, finding a usable receiver for either one is pretty tough to find now and they used to be a dime a dozen, same with AK's.

My building days are done I guess sense there's not really anything out there that I don't already have or would want any more of. I have one 03 Springfield receiver left but already have 5 other built 03's in different configurations and a couple originals, so why would I even bother at this point ?

That sucks for folks just getting into the shooting sports though, there's just not many options for parts left to build your own anymore. Ya AR's but that's just an assembly process IMHO and not really building something.

IMO Unless you have to break out the micrometer, fire up the lathe or a milling machine your not really building something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts