Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weapon in question is a 10/22, but I think it would apply to any rifle...

I've got a manlichner (sp?) stocked 10/22 Internatinal - i.e. full-stocked to the muzzle. I've been thinking that I could improve accuracy by enhancing the rigidity of the long fore-end by cutting a groove in the bottom of the barrel channel and epoxying in a small aluminum or steel I-beam.

Opinions?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I've always been taught that free floating the barrel is the way to accuracy with the exception of a few rilfes.

On that note I have watched my Dad get really good results modifying milsurp Mausers and Nagants by floating the barrel. In some cases that alone had dramatic results.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep, carefully remove the wood till you can slide a 3x5 index card (or similar thickness card stock) from muzzle to face of receiver. Works wonders.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sangrun, cammobunker, with a weapon that can be free-floated, I am in agreement with you. With a free-floated barrel, rigidity of the foreend becomes irrelevant. Alas, the design of the 10/22 International is such that you cannot free-float the barrel so that's not an option.

If I could free-float the barrel I'd do that; I'm looking into Plan B for a weapon which requires that the barrel be bedded into the stock.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Sangrun, cammobunker, with a weapon that can be free-floated, I am in agreement with you. With a free-floated barrel, rigidity of the foreend becomes irrelevant. Alas, the design of the 10/22 International is such that you cannot free-float the barrel so that's not an option.

If I could free-float the barrel I'd do that; I'm looking into Plan B for a weapon which requires that the barrel be bedded into the stock.

I used to own a 10-22, but that was 14 years ago?

Anyway, I guess I don't remember how they are constructed.

Then I guess a clamping the barrel down is an option and make the stock more rigid would be part of that. I would say your inserting a rail in the forestock is a good idea.

That or going the Bull barrel or Carbon Fiber steel insert barrel route.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't go bull barrel or carbon-fibre because I want to retain the Manlichner stock, and it requires use of a standard-configuration barrel.

On a 10/22 the stock is attached to the barrelled action by attachment at the barrel, not by attachment at the receiver as on most weapons. Floating the barrel forward of the attachment point would be an option if I didn't have a Manlichner stock.

Thanks for referral to rimfire central, cammobunker! From what I've gathered from mucking about over there, it looks like standard practice among the more maniacal is to free-float the receiver, bed the barrel, and establish a pressure point at the end of the fore-end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts