Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to believe that rock and roll is about 50 years old. (Some dispute over when it actually began, but indisputably was established on or before when Elvis came on the scene in 1956)

Ah, the good old days, back in the 50's, when all you had to do was turn the radio on to a rock and roll station to have your father screaming "Turn off that goddam ****** music!"

Now kids have to come home blind drunk, stoned out of their minds on designer drugs, with body piercings where their bodies aren't already covered with tattoos before the folks even notice, let alone go into a blind rage. Life was easier for a kid then.
 

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
It all sort of turned when the Beatles had a hit with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and then within a few years had a hit called "Why Don't We Do It In The Road".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custer said:
It all sort of turned when the Beatles had a hit with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and then within a few years had a hit called "Why Don't We Do It In The Road".
Some say it turned when not all edited pics of Elvis so you couldn't see what he was doing with his hips, as Ed Sullivan did.

Clearly you were no fan of the Fugs.

"Wrap it up
"Stick it in
"Saran Wrap!"

While it remains to be seen whether rock will have the staying power of older American music genres - blues, jazz, country - I certainly hope that hip-hop/rap does not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
I say Little Richard, Robert Johnson and other Delta Blues boys were the fountation for rock n roll.
 

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Some say it turned when not all edited pics of Elvis so you couldn't see what he was doing with his hips, as Ed Sullivan did.

Clearly you were no fan of the Fugs.

"Wrap it up
"Stick it in
"Saran Wrap!"

While it remains to be seen whether rock will have the staying power of older American music genres - blues, jazz, country - I certainly hope that hip-hop/rap does not.
The problem is that I like the stuff yet it has also contributed to a much coarser society and many other evils.

No way to resolve it that I have ever been able to figure out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,413 Posts
Hip hop started back in the lats 70's and now that it's been around for a quarter century it probably isn't going away.

I have to admit, I think I finally got old. There is hardly anything new within the last 5 years that I will listen too.

I like my southern blues rock and soem of the older stuff like Zeppilin and even Metallica stiil.

If I do listen to a music station it's oldies, country or talk AM. Mostly talk AM anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peacemaker said:
I say Little Richard, Robert Johnson and other Delta Blues boys were the fountation for rock n roll.
Peacemaker, I'd consider Little Richard to be a rocker, not a precurser to rockers. But, anyway, have you got the Robert Johnson 2-CD collection? Highly recommended, holds up very well, a seminal work for any rocker. It's pretty amazing how many of his songs were made rock standards by British rockers like Pete Townsend, Eric Clapton, and Jimmy Page.
 

·
Code name: Felix
Joined
·
6,361 Posts
My parents never had much to say about my choice of music, I always enjoyed the Big Bands of the 40's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,413 Posts
aviator said:
My parents never had much to say about my choice of music, I always enjoyed the Big Bands of the 40's

I know this sounds weird, but as a teen I discoverd big band music and would listen to in my private time. My parents were a little concerned that a teen in 1986 would take up a fondness for that. My grandma was thrilled and gave me her old big band collection of records.

I also discoverd real blues like being discussed above, rock-a-billy and some classical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like a lot of alternative rock, but generally rock does seem to be rather stuck in a rut these days. Nirvana was the last rock band I really really liked.

I've successfully flamed out on most of the rock standards of the 70's, and will gladly murder the next person who plays "Free Bird" within my hearing. Although remain a big fan of Jeff Beck's work during the 60's and 70's: "Welcome to the Canteen" and "Rough and Ready" are my all-time favorite albums.

Interestingly enough, the blues, last bastion of traditionalists and purists, is re-inventing itself and some really good new styles of blues are developing. Check out http://www.fatpossum.com/home.html

Suprisingly enough, I share aviator's enjoyment of 40's big band music.
 

·
No Member
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Some say it turned when not all edited pics of Elvis so you couldn't see what he was doing with his hips, as Ed Sullivan did.

Clearly you were no fan of the Fugs.

"Wrap it up
"Stick it in
"Saran Wrap!"

While it remains to be seen whether rock will have the staying power of older American music genres - blues, jazz, country - I certainly hope that hip-hop/rap does not.
Not to forget...I feel like homemade s*it...and that Boobs Alot song!:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tjames1 said:
Not to forget...I feel like homemade s*it...and that Boobs Alot song!:wink:
OMG, a fellow conoisseur of bad taste!

Or is it, more properly. sister "connoisseuse"?
 

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Joined
·
13,384 Posts
I don't see how you could talk about original rock stars without talking about Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, and Richie Valens, but, that was the day that music died.................
 

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
I can still appreciate the anger and angst of the modern stuff. I may not have the angst, but I still have some of the anger.

When I can't appreciate the new stuff anymore, then I will know I am old. Hope it does not happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Pogo said:
I don't see how you could talk about original rock stars without talking about Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, and Richie Valens, but, that was the day that music died.................
WHO???

hehehe just kidding I've heard of them, just never listened to them, unless they're on the oldies tapes my mom used to buy--didn't they have a movie or something about them--they all died in a plane crash right?
 

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Joined
·
13,384 Posts
Taz38 said:
WHO???

hehehe just kidding I've heard of them, just never listened to them, unless they're on the oldies tapes my mom used to buy--didn't they have a movie or something about them--they all died in a plane crash right?
Yep, they all took a last plane ride together. They were big in their day. I didn't care much for Richie Valens, but Buddy Holly was really ...... groovy :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,413 Posts
Isn't amazing? Where did good taste and creativity go?

There are a few bright spots out there, but music used to be fun. It's seems more about attitude now than anything.
 

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Joined
·
13,384 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Isn't amazing? Where did good taste and creativity go?

There are a few bright spots out there, but music used to be fun. It's seems more about attitude now than anything.
When I do listen to music anymore, it's either oldies or a country/western station. I don't care for the bad attitude in music either. It seems it's transformed into that. Hope it will be a short lived phase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
I like to turn up the music when I'm cleaning---normally the anger music--cuz I just loooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee to clean and dust :rolleyes: :grumble: it's keeps me in the mood--put some elbow grease into cleaning the toilet.......lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They made a good flick about Richie Valens and an excellent flick about good flick about Buddy Holly. Both were pioneers, Valens especially since at that time it was unheard of for a Mexican to enter pop culture. Of course, it had to be downplayed that Holly was a Texan, although in the era of Marilyn Manson I suppose it would be accepted if only for its shock value.
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top